Sign in to follow this  
mulie hunter

Exciting Javelina hunt

Monday Jan. 4th was the first day I could go archery Javelina hunting, we were planning on being in our hunting area by first light. That didn't work out, and we were running late!!! I decided to be dropped off and hike about a 2 miles to where my hunting partners were going to park the truck. About 25 minutes into my hike my buddy calls and says we just got into a herd of 20 javelina. I thought just my luck, I made the wrong choice, I should of just stayed with them! So now Im thinkin I gotta get to where they are. How wrong I was! I walk about 400 yards and jump up a herd of 8 javelinas out of thier beds, one stops at 40 yards, I draw back and miss! They're gone but I remember the post on Javelina calling, so I get my electronic call attached to my pants pocket and start calling, nothing comes in. So I start walking again, I walked about 100 yards when I see 3 Javelinas 40 yards in front of me. My mind says shoot but part of me says call!!! So I hit the call button, the lead javelina immediately stops and turns towards me, then takes off running straight towards me with the other two behind it! It's charging towards me so I draw back and when it is about 15 yards out still running, I'm like head shot or no shot, so the arrow flys true and hits it right between the eyes, drops it in its track, Yes, what a rush!!!! But I got a problem The other two javelinas are still charging towards me( the electronic call is still screaming)!!! I start yelling at them and one of them turns to the right but the other keeps coming So when it was about 2 yards out I swing my bow at it and it runs to the left and behind me. Whew!!! Now I can celebrate my success!!!! The Slick tick broadhead did the trick. The arrow penetrated through the skull down the neck and the broadhead was sticking out the ribcage!!!

post-940-1263001474.jpg

post-940-1263001555_thumb.jpg

post-940-1263001526.jpg

Sounds like a great and exciting hunt. Congratulations. So did your buddies get their pigs as well?

Aaron

Sounds like a great and exciting hunt. Congratulations. So did your buddies get their pigs as well?

Aaron

That was an awesome experience, I'm hooked on calling!!! My buddies didn't tag monday. One them went back to the same area this morning and tagged out!

Thats about as exciting as it gets! Congrats on your pig! Calling javelina is a real blast. Just remember though that it doesnt always work. Sometimes it will do the exact opposite and they will turn and run away from you so I only use calling as a last resort. Congrats again and good luck on filling your friend's tag!

-Tracy

Thats about as exciting as it gets! Congrats on your pig! Calling javelina is a real blast. Just remember though that it doesnt always work. Sometimes it will do the exact opposite and they will turn and run away from you so I only use calling as a last resort. Congrats again and good luck on filling your friend's tag!

-Tracy

When they turn and run off, don't put the call away. More often than not they'll run a short distance, stop, turn around and come right back if you keep calling non-stop.

Incidentally, have you tried hanging your hogs from their teeth? You don't need a rope. Just clamp their mouths over a small limb and their weight will do the work. Make sure it's a small branch, though. If you leave them hanging too long you'll need to cut or break the branch to free your pigs.

Bill Quimby

-Tracy

When they turn and run off, don't put the call away. More often than not they'll run a short distance, stop, turn around and come right back if you keep calling non-stop.

Incidentally, have you tried hanging your hogs from their teeth? You don't need a rope. Just clamp their mouths over a small limb and their weight will do the work. Make sure it's a small branch, though. If you leave them hanging too long you'll need to cut or break the branch to free your pigs.

Bill Quimby

I learn something new from you all the time Bill. :) Gotta try that one.

Amanda

-Tracy

Bill Quimby

We got into a little heard on Monday evening busted us and my uncle pulled out his call and they came right back to us around the brush so we didn't get a shot off but the calling worked.

Great story, it's a blast getting into the middle of a bunch of pigs! On Wednesday I shot mine and the heard took off, but after a bunch of woofing a couple came back in and the whale shot his right in the ear and it dropped right there. Got it on film too, it is awesome to watch your own hunt. pigs are the best time to try it out too. Congrats!

In my (limited) pig calling experience, it seems that if you're close to the pigs - say 100 yards or so - it works well. If they're a ways off, they turn tail and run.

Wow! Killer story. I filled my tag on monday also, but not near as exciting.

Same here! Great story, sounds like a blast! Congrats, JIM>