Sign in to follow this  
az.antlerenthusiast

January shed hunting

Took off this weekend with Dustin o'l antler head and headed off for a lower elevation break from the snow.

This has long been one of my favorite areas since my largest elk and mule deer sheds both came from this area. During the last few years the number of elk in the area has gone down to almost zero, and the deer numbers are probably 1/5 of what they used to be even from what I remember.

Good news though, the predator population is doing well. :blink: Certain people have done well to ensure that certain worthless predators are doing very well at the expense of large numbers of deer and elk.

We didn't find no coues ants. but it was fun to get out and see some kick butt country. We had perfect weather to get out and hit the mountains and not worry about reptiles or heat stroke.

Found this pair of antlers on the way in. Made for a happy antler hunter.

post-3284-1263263917_thumb.jpg

Old deer head near base camp.

post-3284-1263265159_thumb.jpg

Rock formation near where we camped.

post-3284-1263269586_thumb.jpg

Yes he is awake... Dustin found these antler laying about 5 feet apart.

They are about a year old and probably from a 140-150 class deer.

post-3284-1263265965_thumb.jpg

post-3284-1263266352_thumb.jpg

This was an old head I found near a creek.

He is a few years old and needs some restoration work but a nice find none the less.

The closest sign of any elk to this head was about 4 miles away, and even that was quite scarce. I used to watch a nice sized herd of bulls similar in size to this one work the hills 1/2 mile away. Guess thats a thing of the past though.

post-3284-1263266768_thumb.jpg

My pride and joy find. A 2x2 year old set.

post-3284-1263267968_thumb.jpg

In all we found 18 mostly white but still usable antlers.

post-3284-1263268626_thumb.jpg

And the fun part, the pack out.

post-3284-1263270133_thumb.jpg

post-3284-1263270009_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing. That looks like it was a great trip for the both of you. Nice collection! :)

TJ

You guys definitely deserve all the bone you find, it shows hard work and dedication can pay off! Great job, thanks for the pics! JIM>

January shed trip, man, new meaning to hitt'n it early...awesome trip it looks's like...thank's for sharing...max