Sign in to follow this  
Verndog

Finally........

After growing up in Payson and having javi's in the yard every night and then moving south and having javi's in my yard every night, which I was quickly advised that they were off limits, I finally scored on one this morning. Me and a buddy and his son located a group last Saturday, but they vanished pretty quick and we couldn't relocate them. Funny how they can do that! Then last Sunday, I was at 29 yards waiting on a big boar to just move two steps, bascially a standoff, and ran out of light. Since then, I've been putting on the miles and couldn't locate a javi to save my life and frankly was getting pretty bummed. This morning, I went out and after putting on the miles located three at 186 yards. Put on my sneaky feet and closed the distance to 11 yards on a small boar or sow that bedded down in front of me. I then waited for this boar to come into a shooting lane and nailed him at 31 yards. He went about 40 yards and I heard that thump that I like to hear. Now I can concentrate on locating one of those elusive coues! Another plus this is the first kill with my new Matthews Z7. What a sweet bow. Thanks Ms. Santa!!!! I also got to use my new Havalon knife. Great knife, but you need to be careful with that bad boy. Ms Santa wanted a life size mount. Well the taxi has a couple little holes to fix now! Not to mention, I need to get some more Bandaids! Thanks Vern

post-1614-1263599538_thumb.jpg

Awesome story!! Congratulations! And yes, be very careful with those havalon knives!!!! They are crazy sharp! They do make some with blunt tips too so you are less likely to poke a hole in the hide.

here is the link to the knive page if you want to see the blunt tipped blades:

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookstore/havalon_knives.htm

Congrats on the kill. I missed one this morning at 40 yds down hill, not sure what happened shot right over his back. Who is going to do the mount job? I was thinking bout doing a life size mount if I get one.

Congrats on the pig!

The Havalon is dangerous!

I bought a box of 100 blunt blades, thinking they might work better. I used about 3 of them, but probably will get rid of the rest. They are shorter than the pointed ones, and your cutting surface is greatly reduced. If you decide to try them, just buy a dozen of them first.

Congrats on the kill. I missed one this morning at 40 yds down hill, not sure what happened shot right over his back. Who is going to do the mount job? I was thinking bout doing a life size mount if I get one.

Your going to shoot a little higher down hill. Take some off. Good luck gettin a pig!