Sign in to follow this  
azelkhunter2

Opinions needed...New rifle

I am going to buy a new rifle for my wife and daughter..I want a Weatherby 257 mag...My ? is would you by a accu-mark and call it good... or buy a remingtion 700 and have a hart or lilja barrel put on it along with the action worked and a jewel trigger....It will be topped with a VX-III 4.5 X 14 X 40 and I will hand load rounds for it...Dave

I am going to buy a new rifle for my wife and daughter..I want a Weatherby 257 mag...My ? is would you by a accu-mark and call it good... or buy a remingtion 700 and have a hart or lilja barrel put on it along with the action worked and a jewel trigger....It will be topped with a VX-III 4.5 X 14 X 40 and I will hand load rounds for it...Dave

Any time you can afford to use a cleaned up action with a premium barrel you cant go wrong. My vote is using the 700 and Hart or Lilja. Both barrels are cream of the crop. Is the 257wby what you want or what they want? You may concider a 280 AI. It offers a better variety of bullets with better barrel life. While not as fast and flat as t he 257, it will drift less and hit harder farther. Just a thought but if youre dead set on the 257 then by all means.....

Jewel triggers are also cream. As a side note, alot of ladies dont like sensitive triggers. It scares them. Jewel triggers can be set anywhere from 1.5oz to 4 pounds. 2 to 3 pounds is a good place to start with the ladies.

M

308...Thanks for your input..I am the one that wants the 257...Dont really have a good reason other then I have wanted one for yrs..As far as the light trigger goes I do agree with you but they both shoot my lazzeroni warbird when they hunt elk and it's trigger is set at 1.8 pounds and they do fine with it...Thanks again...Dave

I just put together a Kimber 84 with a Christensen carbon barrel chambered for 257 Wby. I had it built with the intention of shooting the berger 115 vld. It shoots ok but not what I had hoped. All my flat based bullets shoot fine out of it but it does not like those vld's. Anyway I'm starting to wonder if maybe a 25-06 might have been a better choice. It's always something! Shayne

Man I sure was hoping that Christianson barrel would have worked out better. That thing turned out awesome and the wieght displacement of the gun is perfect. I sure am tempted tp do the same thing to my 7 RUM.

bergers usually always require a little different twist than other bullets of the same weight. the way they are constructed makes them longer, requiring a little quicker twist than you would usually use for a given weight. most of the bullet boxes tell you what twist to use. and .25 caliber is probably the most twist sensative of all. Lark.

I bought a box a bullets and it had the recommended twist rate on the box, then I built the rifle. When things were not going quit right I thought they had put the wrong barrel in but when I measured the twist it was 1x10. That was the recommended rate, but no luck so far. Shayne

every christensen i've shot hit real well. might just need to tinker with the overal cartridge length or a different powder. every rifle is a little different. overall length is real criticial. .25 caliber is the most finicky of em all it seems. if you have the bullet seated right so it hooks up with the lands like it should, might try a different powder. some guns are picky about what you feed em. maybe even try a different powder. another really over looked thing is hammer speed. you can have a real light trigger and still have creep and not be smooth, too. i'll bet it'll shoot. rifles are just like mules, they'll do what ya want, you just have to figger out how to make it do it. Lark.

i would get a 10 twist kreiger on the 700 . i have one jewell trigger and three shilen triggers. i like the shilen better. the only advantage to the accumark is you can buy one today, no gunsmithing wait.