Sign in to follow this  
Andy

when do antelope shed horns

A friend of mine has a depredation antelope tag out here in NM. We went out to check out the property and get the info from the farmer. We saw a few antelope driving out and all the bucks we saw were little. I was wondering if they have allready shed their horns.

Andy

not an expert, but my brother found a fresh one during the November elk hunt this year and I have found one or two in years past during the fall.

the bucks I saw the other day were small too? and I know there is usually a decent buck there, maybe I just didn't see him or maybe he hadn't grown big yet?

It seems like maybe they dont shed every year. Im interested to see what some of the more educated folks on here think.

-sam

My reference books say late October after the rut to December for shedding. The horn starts growing back quickly, and you should see some new horn growth now.

I am suprised Eli Grimmett does not have an antelope biology section on his website.

If your depredation hunt includes bucks, expect no trophy horns this time of year.

All the Antelope I saw this weekend had already shed, and are starting regrowth.

--Bill

Antelope typically drop their sheaths late October and into November. The new horn actually begins growing underneath the old horn, which in effect "pushes" the old sheath off. So technically they never have a bald head. If you find them laying on the ground, you are lucky. They get eaten up by critters and such very quickly.

This time of year, you will not see anything that is big, unless you find a buck with some sort of injury that hasn't allowed him to shed.

hello- heres what one google had to say -

The horns are erect, with a posterior hook and a short anterior prong. The prong gives rise to the common name “pronghorn”. This pronged pattern is unique to this species. The horn is a keratinized (insoluble protein forming the principal matter - hair - nails- horn )sheath, black in color, and is deciduous(falling off at a certain season or stage of growth). Horn sheaths grow over a bony extension of the frontal bone, which is now called the cancellous bone in ungulates(hoofs). A new sheath forms under the old, which splits and is dropped just after the rut each year. Both sexes have horns, although the horns of females are generally small or absent, and never exceed ear length. Female horns average about 120 mm and the prongs are not prominent. The horn begins to grow at the age of six months and will be shed by 18 months. The maximum horn height for males will occur within 2 to 3 years of age and will average 250 mm, exceeding the length of the ear.

couldn't find anything on which month they shed - other than after mating season which we know is late august- Sept- so to say oct-nov. has got to be right depending on what state - etc.

Yes, Like the others said. They shed Every Year and they start sheding in Late Oct.

I have seen more shed in early Nov and they are usually all done by the end of Nov. It is defentaly a Depretation tag you have and not a trophy hunt. They are not half grown yet. But have fun with it anyway, an antelope tag is an antelope tag!

Lance