hurts my feelings too :(

I think, though, that the term comes out in certain groups of hunters because when in comparison to the coues whitetail deer, they are considered to be bigger, slower, and less intelligent- like a carp.

But I could be wrong about that...

midget deer hunters want to feel better about the inferior aminals they shoot so they make up seemingly derogatory names for mule deer. in the circus of wildlife, mule deer are the trapeeze artists and lion tamers. coues deer are the ones that come bailin' outta them little bitty firetrucks. Lark.

Not sure, lets compare the two.

Every midget deer hunter i know has a 100 in plus buck while i know only a few guys with a 200 in carp. Hmmmmm

Even a small carp deer has 30 more inches of bone than a big midget buck. Hmmmmmm

Always bonafied midget deer hunters on here posting pics of there "carp". Hmmmmm

If you are a midget deer hunter than quit shooting carp.

Ain't nothin' personal at all, nor any kind of effort to elevate the whitetail above the mule deer. It's simply that the beautiful, graceful, highly inteligent Coues Deer lives on the upper mountain reaches where it feeds on lush cliff rose, mohogany, and delicate forbs - making it one tastey little critter; whereas the blocky, flop-eared, smelly mule deer generally lives on the desert floor, where it is literally a 'bottom feeder', or carp.

Simple as that!

Something that a sheep-hunting purist can never get over the denial of is that the beloved, and highly esteemed bighorn is really nothin more than a Cliff Carp! - able to suck a living off of a rock.

Hope this clears things up a bit, and erases any feelings of anamosity.

Mike

Ain't nothin' personal at all, nor any kind of effort to elevate the whitetail above the mule deer. It's simply that the beautiful, graceful, highly inteligent Coues Deer lives on the upper mountain reaches where it feeds on lush cliff rose, mohogany, and delicate forbs - making it one tastey little critter; whereas the blocky, flop-eared, smelly mule deer generally lives on the desert floor, where it is literally a 'bottom feeder', or carp.

Simple as that!

Something that a sheep-hunting purist can never get over the denial of is that the beloved, and highly esteemed bighorn is really nothin more than a Cliff Carp! - able to suck a living off of a rock.

Hope this clears things up a bit, and erases any feelings of anamosity.

Mike

Umm? Kaibab? 9000+ft and no whites.

Only because of the draw process. I'd be willing to bet a mature sheep is easier to kill than either a mature mule deer or Coues.

Only because of the draw process. I'd be willing to bet a mature sheep is easier to kill than either a mature mule deer or Coues.

yeah , that is probably true! Been closer to some Rockies in 27 than any Muley or Coues for that matter. If you hunt Coues for taste than how do you eat Javelina(no offense against those who like too)????

We used to call mulies stick deer - because certain times of the year, you could practically beat them to death with a stick. However, I must admit that I couldn't even kill one with a rifle this year.

I always thought that we called them Carp, because you could practically snag them with a hook and reel them in. :lol: :lol:

I honestly think it is easior to kill a big couse then a big muley......my biggest muley is 172 and a couple others over 150, all desert. I have killed 4 couse over 100, they are much easior to keep an eye on. I am 28 and they all came from AZ. I would rather hunt Couse but to kill a big desert muley I think is a bigger challenge. Look at all the 100 inch couse that are being killed.....how many big muleys have you heard about?

I don't think comparing a 100" coues to a 200" muley is an apples to apples comparison.

100" Coues is 10% below the B&C minimum for a typical buck. Take 10% off the B&C min for a typical muley and it's a better comparison, IMO.

I think it's harder to kill a big desert muley buck because there are so few of them, not because they are smarter. Plus, they typically live in areas that are not easily glassed, like large, flat, cholla and mesquite choked desert.

Now not all AZ muleys are the desert type. Look at 27 and the Kaibab areas. Areas most Coues hunters would say is coues habitat only. Its the exact opposite in those areas. Muleys up high in the oaks and junipers, pines even! And is it just me or does it seem like Muleys dont handle the droughts as good??

I guess ill get in on this. In my liftime (soon to be 24) I have seen muley numbers drop and coues rise by quite a bit, both desert muleys and ones up north. Ive spent alot of time on the rim and have seen fewer and fewer muleys up there. Along with that i have seen more and more WT there. I also spent alot of time in the desert chasin big muleys. When I was younger 10-15 I could always draw a youth muley tag in the same unit. I could always find huge bucks, like 170+ almost every year. I missed my fair share of em, never got one of the big guys. I still hunt these areas for pigs and it is a rarity to see a decent muley. I glassed up a 155ish muley a couple weeks ago and was super excited to see a decent buck. Im sure these cycles happen all the time but ive finally spent enough time around I can see slower transitions. I would also compare a 100 buck to something smaller than a 200" flop ear. Im a diehard WT guy but id take the 200" muley over a WT under 110" inches anyday i think, well id have to think about those 108s and 109s ;)