Sign in to follow this  
RoughCut

New to Muzzleloaders

Hello everyone, I was hoping someone would might be able to steer me in the right direction. I am and have been really interested in getting into muzzleloader hunting. I would really like to buy one, but from a purchasing standpoint, have no idea where to begin. I have spent some time on TC's website since they seem to be a big name. I can't BELEIVE how many different types there are, all for the most part in the same caliber.

I guess I don't really know what to ask. Any links to resources would be great or just some personal experiences.

Thanks

Chris

You'll love it. The best part is no pressure for the most part.

I still shoot a traditional sidelock percussion im 54 cal. I have a 50 Hawken also. I have harvested Deer, Elk & Antelope through the years. Today, most everything is in-line in 50 cal with souped up loads--but you still only have one shot most of the time.

T/C, Traditions and CVA all make quality rifles in different price ranges. CVA runs a little less expensive for the most part.

If you plan on using it out of state--be very mindful of their laws. CO, for one, is very restrictive. No scopes or electronic sites-no pelletized powder-no sabots.

Don't know your finances--but I wouldn't sink a ton of jingle into it at 1st. My bro bought a bottom line CVA inline--and it works great. He was flying down here and we were headed to the area around Durango and he didn't want the hassle of flying with a gun & related gear so be bought this one and had it shipped to me. They sell for around $150 or so. He has a T/C Renegade with a Green River barrel that is SWEET!!

Thanks for the replies guys. That would be great to start out with a less expensive CVA, just to get the hang of it. Especially if you think they aren't junkers.

Keep the replies coming.

Howdy just got back into black powder I think you will have alot of fun TC is a good brand as are traditions and cva. I just recently puchased a cva accura for $239 at cabelas cant go wrong at that price shots great even out to 175 to 200 yards. I would agree with the other guys stick to one of these 3 brands and you really cant go wrong. You can also check the customer review on the cabelas website. Hope this helps and have fun.

I have a CVA buck hunter model, and paid $139 on sale at Bass Pro Shops. I think the muzzleloader is the most fun to shoot at the range because you are not just knocking out boxes of ammo. You have to keep it realitivly clean to maintain accuracy and you can play with the load and powder combos. As in any of the hunting methods, I would purchase the best quality equipment you can afford. There are lots of kits available with everything you need to get started, but they are plastic and not quality. Talk with your buddy's or the guys at the pro shops and buy the right equipment the first time. I also purchased a longer than standard ram rod that I use at the range. It is much easier to use than the ram rod that comes with the gun. If you need to pull a bullet, the longer length is much easier to get hands on. Also, mark your ram rods when the gun is empty, and with a charge so that you can easily check the status and don't double load. Good luck and have fun.

My bros is stainless-probably no differnce in the way they shoot. Nobody seems to have a problem with sun reflection. Stainless wold be my choice. But that is just an opinion not based on fact. His probably is that $139 model and he has killed 3 Elk with it. Using loose powder and a Buffalo Bullet. I think they are out of business now. Ron Dahlitz-founder/owner was my grandfathers neighbor. I knew him when I was a teenager. He and his family were huntin' fools.

RoughCut, way back when I got started I got an Encore because there was talk that the Game and Fish was going to change the reg's to crack down on modern muzzleloaders and I could switch barrels and not lose my investment - NOW that nothing has ever come of that and there are more options (that are less expensive) I would definately go for one of the simple break open types that are easy to clean and maintain (as long as someone could verify the accuracy). That being said I looked up the CVA Accura on their website - it looks like exactly the ticket (and they had a money back accuracy gaurantee?) - At that price I think you are spot on!

Hopefully my next comment will not open a cans of worms (but I wish someone would have told me) - once you get your gun, save yourself a ton of money on bullet types and time sighting in - get some Powerbelts, sight in and go hunt. :) Later when you get started send me a PM and I will be glad to help.

RoughCut, way back when I got started I got an Encore because there was talk that the Game and Fish was going to change the reg's to crack down on modern muzzleloaders and I could switch barrels and not lose my investment - NOW that nothing has ever come of that and there are more options (that are less expensive) I would definately go for one of the simple break open types that are easy to clean and maintain (as long as someone could verify the accuracy). That being said I looked up the CVA Accura on their website - it looks like exactly the ticket (and they had a money back accuracy gaurantee?) - At that price I think you are spot on!

Hopefully my next comment will not open a cans of worms (but I wish someone would have told me) - once you get your gun, save yourself a ton of money on bullet types and time sighting in - get some Powerbelts, sight in and go hunt. :) Later when you get started send me a PM and I will be glad to help.

I really appreciate the comment 555. I ordered the Accura last night along with some cleaning supplies. I can't wait to get it. I am glad you said that about the powerbelts. I was looking closest at them, and not just because CVA endorses them. Seems like they have great reviews for the most part. Do you shoot loose powder or pellets?

Thanks again

I shoot 2 pellets of 50 gr. Pyrodex for simplicity, I get good enough groups and it is easy and I have the quick load capsules (red plastic holder for bullet/powder/primer) ready for hunting situations. If you want to mess with it you could probably get better with loose powder. Back when I bought mine, T/C had a FPS/Load chart in the back of the manual that showed 2 50 gr. pellets (100 gr.) of pyrodex at way faster than 100 gr. of loose powder - never understood that unless it is compressed more in pellet form? I know there are more modern/newer powder products out there that are probably better than pyrodex - I tried "Clean Shot" years ago and had a terrible experiece (it went haywire after a year of storage) after that I never felt like changing from pyrodex just because of my bad experience (I get consistancy year after year). Whenever I tried 3 pellets I lost my accuracy, but now there are different size pellets that you can try that might give you great accuracy over 100 gr ?

Anyway, Me and my kids have taken elk, antelope, and deer all with 2 pellets - it works OK for me I just got tired of trying different stuff. As you are starting fresh, there are probably many on this site that can steer you with newer powders and loads, I am stubborn about the Powerbelts though, it only makes sense to actually have the bullet in direct contact with the rifling of the barrel - no plastic cup (sabot) will give you that! :) Good luck!

Who is out of business?? I think I am gonna go for the CVA Accura. Seems to be a pretty great gun for $230

Good choice on the front end loader. I believe Buffalo Bullet company is no longer in production.

Who is out of business?? I think I am gonna go for the CVA Accura. Seems to be a pretty great gun for $230

Good choice on the front end loader. I believe Buffalo Bullet company is no longer in production.

Now I read a later post that says they are.--They don't have a website. Might just have to call Ron and find out.

Howdy: My son and I both have cva accura's they do shoot very well even with a variety of bullet sabot combos, you might want to give the hornady XTP 240grain or 200 grain and the harvester sabot a try. They are alot cheaper and in both are guns they will hold a 1 and a half inch group at a hundred yards with 90 grains of blackhorn 209 and magnum 209 primers.