Sign in to follow this  
Coues 'n' Sheep

January 2010... another one to remember!

So as the January hunt winds down I am content to concede that Tina and I are going to Pray for rifle tags and if we fail on the draw we will hunt fuzzy heads in August…. She wants a Carp with her bow… and I’ll shoot whatever…..

But January was good to us again thanks to the hard work that our group puts in… It was a great month. Got to spend time with my pals (Jason, Justin, Lucas, Lee, and the newbie Sol), my Wife, my son Colton, and of course our new friend Ian chasing these deer we love so much! We had lots of rough days and even some deer-less days, which we all hate… especially me.

However, the Season started out hot… with a, Buck Down! …before dark on January 1st! My buddy, Jason, saw a big buck before lunch and swore he would have shot him had the buck presented a clean ethical shot. “If he comes back I’m gunna smoke him!” he said…. Well he saw a nice rack coming through the trees and it didn’t matter which buck it was…. It was a “No Brainer”…. A heavy blood trail and 200 yds later (I honestly can’t believe this buck ran that far with no lungs and blood literally blowing out both sides!)… Jason had Archery coues deer #5 in his hands and a big grin to go with it! It was not the buck from that morning but a dam sexy impression of it! Congrats my Brutha! You smoked him!

post-996-1264614272.jpg

post-996-1264614302.jpg

"The Scarbrough Kiss of Death!" :lol:

post-996-1264614505.jpg

As the second week started… I am hunting about 2+ hours from Colton on a cold morning …. I get a text… “I just smoked a Dam good buck!” I am thrilled but I can’t really get to him so I told him I’d meet him at home later. He is sending me phone pics and telling me how he watched the buck pile up just 40 yards from him…. And I just wanted nothing more than to hit the ground running… The pics look great… the buck looks great… and my boy is Stoked! I gotta go!! I just can’t explain how, as a parent ,you feel when your child exceeds your expectations… Colton has become such a good hunter that I am in awe at times… so Proud. The buck he shot this January is the largest of his five archery coues deer and the second largest coues he has taken in his short years of 21 (he has taken 9 total). Congrats Kiddo… you out did yourself… I’m glad you were able to pass all those 80 and 90 inchers to get this “No Brainer”!

post-996-1264614087.jpg

post-996-1264614122.jpg

post-996-1264614158.jpg

post-996-1264614201.jpg

Opening day Lucus sat 3 feet above my head, video camera in hand and waiting for me to give him the go ahead on any bucks that he should shoot. We saw bucks five that day all very young and the largest might have been pushing 90”, but just way too good of genetics to shoot at such a young age…. Luc was so excited that I could feel the tree trembling… it was good for him to watch those bucks pass us by… cuz when he sat alone the next week (the very same day Colton scored) and a “Shooter” came up the trail… he was calm…. he waited…. when the buck gave him the shot he was looking for, he drew… and told himself, “low… forward….low…forward….Tha-Wack!” He hammered the buck… I had just started out of the woods to meet Colton and see his buck when my phone rang….”Lucus just shot him a good buck!” A possible Double? Whoo Hoo! But….again….. over cautious me…. 2 hours later we recovered Luc’s archery buck #2 just 70 yds down the trail! An older heavy buck… exactly what we had all hoped he would shoot! Perfect, Double Down! On all fronts as a second year archery hunter Luc’s dedication is obvious in the fact that both of his bucks have been hard earned with lots of time spent practicing & hunting and both of his bucks have been recovered in less than 75 yds. of tracking! Way to Go Lucus! We are all very proud of you!

post-996-1264613949.jpg

post-996-1264613989.jpg

The whole gang....

post-996-1264614037.jpg

With two bucks on the ground in the same day... you can bet we got to the bottom of that bottle! What a Night! Sitting around the fire telling lies... and celebrating the success of the day!!

post-996-1264614621.jpg

Our final buck is one that you all have already seen… Ian’s Karma Buck…. Here is the link to his thread. Congrats again, Ian!!

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...c=17228&hl=

post-996-1264613884.jpg

The nearly 390 inches of archery killed bone (4 bucks) will hold the rest of us over and feed the hunger for next fall and winter! Congrats to our Gang on the success we all share… when one succeeds… we all do. We are Family…. and we all hunt as one. To Justin and Sol, who hunted harder than everyone with little more than memories to show for it.... Thanks... I had a Ball! As I look ahead to next year I hope that the rest of our clan that could not hunt this January, will make it next time and that we can all share in another season of hunting, and Getting Bloody!

Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams!

As always Gino, what a tremendous start to the year and huge congrats to all of the gang.

That is indeed a fine month of bowhunting for your coterie of friends and family!

Y'all might allow Clay to retire early with bone like that ;)

Wow....Awesome post....your "Livin the dream" statement is right on point! Big Congrat's to you and your crew ;) ;) what a great month for all of you....you deserve it.... :D

Your appreciation for what we all do as hunter's and parent's shines through....BIGTIME! Congrat's again...max

Great write-up Gino.

Jason that is another great January buck and I don't think the streak is going to end anytime soon. I just glad I don't have to compete with you guys during rifle season. That smooch was typical Dewey stuff right there. Congrats on smokin another great buck.

Colton that is definently a (no brainer) that buck is a toad. Congrats to you aswell.

Lucas your buck was great too.

Congrats to all involved in another successful January.

Jason

Nice read and pics.

Coues n sheep I think I met you in Young about 2 or 3 years ago... If I'm right you helped 3 boys on their youth hunt and were skinning one of them. One of the boys shot his deer between the eyes... I was bear hunting with a buddy... was that you?

Hey Gino,

You need another member of the gang!! :lol: :lol: I will even wear the "Prospect" badge for as long as it takes!

All kidding aside, you guys rock. We've never met, but I have more respect than words can describe for a man who devotes so much time and passion to not just the outdoors, but to helping out the kids. Well done.

Congrats to all the hunters and helpers.

Nice read and pics.

Coues n sheep I think I met you in Young about 2 or 3 years ago... If I'm right you helped 3 boys on their youth hunt and were skinning one of them. One of the boys shot his deer between the eyes... I was bear hunting with a buddy... was that you?

Well... could've been.... we took three juniors bucks in three days over there 2 years ago.... but no on head shot anything.... I'da had my Zip pup with me and he was 10 weeks old on that hunt it was his first of many... Either way you'll run into me one of these days! My mug ugly mug is a tough one to hide! ;) :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the Kindness! The boys all read this stuff and are grateful as well. Thank You!

Blake... we got some great country in between us.. lets get together! ;)

What's more lethal, mountain lion or Gino's gang on the deer population? :lol: ;) My congratulations to Jason, Colton, Ian, and Lucas all on very nice deer. What a great January you guys had. Good luck Gino on the draw for you and Tina. :)

TJ

ps.... as of today does anyone know if the control road out of Pine is snow covered?