Sign in to follow this  
Santana Outdoors

Game Camera Batteries

For me rechargables are kinda spendy, you gotta have 2 sets for em to work. Im not too good at chargin em before haind either. SLAs work great w/ a solar trickle charger. Takes a little time to put together a rig tho. For the money I find in my wildviews Interstate workaholic C batteries (alkaline) work the best. Ive never tried lithiums in my AA cameras maybe I need to.

Hi Eric I currently have three cams out in the field, all have a 12 volt rechargeable battery from Young Alarm here in Tucson. About $15 They have lasted over 3 months with one camera filing a GB card. I know they are heavy but they will last for years. You can put a Moultre solar panel on them or recharge with a regular motor cycle charger.

Hi Everyone,

Game cameras are growing faster then ever for scouting. But Its a bummer when you go out there and your camera batteries are dead. So here is a little game camera battery info for you to chew on.

Alkaline batteries are the least expensive but they discharge even when the camera is in sleep mode. The discharge rate normally depends upon how cold or hot it is out side. They also do not have the power to throw the flash or infrared as far as the manufacturer says. In Az where my camera has recorded over 120 degrees, they are no good.

Lithium batteries are great, they do not discharge and last well. But are more expensive.

Rechargeable Ni-MH batteries are the best. They do not discharge and good ones will last most of us a life time. They do not hold a memory, no need to discharge and can be charged anytime. Good ones can recharge up to 1000 times. Again, that is more than my in life time.

But don't be fooled by any rechargeable batteries, look at the mAh (milliampere-hour) . In a nut shell mAh is basically how long the battery will last.

Lets look at some differences of mAh and some costs. I tried to average, I know you can find them cheaper but this is what I have found on an average.

C-cell

Regular alkaline battery 1500mAh to 3000mAh $1.00 to $3.50 each

Std Rechargeable batteries 2800mAh $4.00

High Grade Rechargeable 5000mAh $5.00

As you can see there is a big difference between the alkaline and good rechargeable batteries. Again, the other big difference is the power in a rechargeable battery compared to an alkaline is it can throw your infrared or flash further.

Get two sets of rechargeable batteries, that way every time you go to your game camera you can change out the old ones and put in the new. Tenergy Rechargeable batteries are the ones I use.

Moultrie also makes a "Solar Power Panel" that hooks up to any camera that accepts a 12V barrel connector. I currently use these on some my Stealth cameras. You still need to have batteries in the camera. I currently have one running in the wilderness and it has been going for a year.

I have checked this panel on Moultrie, stealth and Wildview cameras and it works. But be careful to make sure the polarity is correct for your camera before hooking it up.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Eric

I have had one (alarm battery) in the wilderness for 2 years with a solar panel, works awesome. Moultrie also makes a compact one, solar panel and battery, but expensive. Thanks for posting.

Hi Eric I currently have three cams out in the field, all have a 12 volt rechargeable battery from Young Alarm here in Tucson. About $15 They have lasted over 3 months with one camera filing a GB card. I know they are heavy but they will last for years. You can put a Moultre solar panel on them or recharge with a regular motor cycle charger.

Hi Everyone,

Game cameras are growing faster then ever for scouting. But Its a bummer when you go out there and your camera batteries are dead. So here is a little game camera battery info for you to chew on.

Alkaline batteries are the least expensive but they discharge even when the camera is in sleep mode. The discharge rate normally depends upon how cold or hot it is out side. They also do not have the power to throw the flash or infrared as far as the manufacturer says. In Az where my camera has recorded over 120 degrees, they are no good.

Lithium batteries are great, they do not discharge and last well. But are more expensive.

Rechargeable Ni-MH batteries are the best. They do not discharge and good ones will last most of us a life time. They do not hold a memory, no need to discharge and can be charged anytime. Good ones can recharge up to 1000 times. Again, that is more than my in life time.

But don't be fooled by any rechargeable batteries, look at the mAh (milliampere-hour) . In a nut shell mAh is basically how long the battery will last.

Lets look at some differences of mAh and some costs. I tried to average, I know you can find them cheaper but this is what I have found on an average.

C-cell

Regular alkaline battery 1500mAh to 3000mAh $1.00 to $3.50 each

Std Rechargeable batteries 2800mAh $4.00

High Grade Rechargeable 5000mAh $5.00

As you can see there is a big difference between the alkaline and good rechargeable batteries. Again, the other big difference is the power in a rechargeable battery compared to an alkaline is it can throw your infrared or flash further.

Get two sets of rechargeable batteries, that way every time you go to your game camera you can change out the old ones and put in the new. Tenergy Rechargeable batteries are the ones I use.

Moultrie also makes a "Solar Power Panel" that hooks up to any camera that accepts a 12V barrel connector. I currently use these on some my Stealth cameras. You still need to have batteries in the camera. I currently have one running in the wilderness and it has been going for a year.

I have checked this panel on Moultrie, stealth and Wildview cameras and it works. But be careful to make sure the polarity is correct for your camera before hooking it up.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Eric

I haven't got into the trail camera craze yet, but am interested, so I read the forums to learn the pros/cons, etc... I found these batteries years ago by reading digital camera/battery reviews. They are high capacity NMH type and have been awesome in my long zoom digital camera. Now they have a new generation battery that retains 85% charge after a year. I bought several AA for my cameras, headlamps/flashlights, radios....heck, even my toothbrush. I also have the charger/conditioner that is AC/DC, so I can charge in the field off the vehicle. The first ones I bought...maybe 10 years ago are still going strong. You get what you pay for. Good quality rechargables are worth the extra $$.

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/Index.asp

rechargables probably work really good ...just havent bought any. I have only used duracell for my stealth cam. Filled up my card on highest setting 2 times now in 2-3 months and batteries are still good. thats just over 4500 pictures with plenty of infrared usage.