Sign in to follow this  
GRANDE BEAR

A DREAM START TO 2010....

I posted some pics with a recap of our great 2009 season on the "Huntin in AZ" section. I ended it stating how we didn't think we could come close to duplicating last year. Well we stand corrected. If the Jan. archery hunt is any indication...we better lace them boots up nice and tight because 2010 has started off with a bang.

I posted some pics of my bro-n-law Eddie's Coues collection a while back. I said that in my opinion he was the best Coues hunter I have ever had the privilege of hunting with. Well he just totally re-affirmed my belief that he is one of the best. Let's go back to last Jan. 2009. Eddie passed on many different bucks before he finally decided to ground check a 93" buck. This Jan. he was determined to arrow a 100" buck or nothing. During his late Nov. archery bull hunt he glassed up what he said was one of the biggest, if not the biggest bucks he had ever seen. He said it had mass and junk. He was especially impressed with one of the buck's huge bladed eyeguards. Thus the name "The Bladed Buck" came about. Busy with elk hunts until the first weekend in Dec., Eddie spent the last 3 weeks leading up to Jan. to scout and finally find what he thought would be the lucky travel route of The Bladed Buck or perhaps another big buck worthy of his tag. I remember telling him he was going to kill a big buck because that's what Eddie does, he kills good bucks. I just never honestly thought he would meet up with what would soon be his buck of a lifetime.

A few miles away, Chris was doing the same thing at the same time as Eddie. He was looking and checking for the lucky spot to hang his stand hoping to come across some of the good bucks he had seen prior to the season. A couple of bucks stood out in Chris' mind. One was a long eyeguarded buck he would name "Antennas", and another was a buck with white hair leading up to all four of his feet whom he would name "White Socks". Either of these candidates would suffice. Needless to say Eddie and Chris both hung their stands in just the right tree over looking the right trail.

January 1 is finally here. While most of us were recuperating from our New Year's Eve festivities, Eddie and Chris were up bright and early and braving the cold weather for that chance at scoring a big buck. Eddie had plenty of rutting action around him. At the end of the day he had second guessed his decision to pass on a 95-100" buck at 10 yards. He hoped it would not come back to haunt him later. He was waiting for the no doubt about it 100" buck, and didn't think that buck was him.

Day 2 started a bit slower than day 1, with only does passing by until around 10:30. This is when a buck came out chasing a doe. The buck never fully exposed his rack, but showed enough for Eddie to think enough of him to come to full draw and wait for the clear shooting lane. The buck steps out, Eddie takes a quick glance at the rack and re- focuses on the shot all within a few seconds the arrow is released and the sweet sound of a solid hit is heard and seen. This is when the nervous excitement set in. He waited 30 long minutes until coming down from his stand to go examine his bloody arrow. Eddie tracked his buck for 150-200 yards and found the buck laid up under a tree down for the count. He knew this was a good buck but until he walked up on this buck did he realize just how good he was and more importantly who he was. It was none other than "The Bladed Buck" himself. Eddie had just killed his buck of a lifetime. Many phone calls, text messages, and pics later a tape was finally put to this stud of a buck. He taped out at 122". Truly amazing archery buck on public AZ land !!

Chris hunted hard and put in many hours on stand day after day battling snow and cold below freezing temps.

He would pass on several smaller bucks waiting for one of the big boys to come around. He too passed on a solid 90" buck waiting and hoping for either "Antennas or "White Socks" to apppear. Finally on the third weekend, Chris' wish would come to pass. Not only would one of his targeted bucks appear, but both would, chasing the same doe !! Chris got ready, waiting for either of the two to present a good clear shot. As fate would have it, "White Socks" presented Chris with a shot. The arrow flew true and straight at it's designated target and a short 50-60 yard tracking job later, Chris had his best archery Coues on the ground. After pics and phone calls a tape was also put to this buck. White Socks ended up scoring right at 100". Another excellent trophy buck to be proud of. In a span of 3 months Chris had just taken a 105" and now a 100" buck on Az public land. It doesn't get better than that !!

Enjoy the following pics of these two truly magnificent bucks. As always it's hard to get the perfect picture to show just how great these bucks are. Pics don't seem to do either of them any justice.

post-294-1265267540.jpg

post-294-1265268998_thumb.jpg

post-294-1265269064_thumb.jpg

post-294-1265267660.jpg

post-294-1265267584_thumb.jpg

post-294-1265268259_thumb.jpg

post-294-1265268323_thumb.jpg

post-294-1265269261_thumb.jpg

post-294-1265269174_thumb.jpg

post-294-1265267428_thumb.jpg

post-294-1265267496_thumb.jpg

SWEET!!!! Great start to the year. That bottom pic shows what hard work can do for you.

WOW! Congrats to both of them on some outstanding bucks. Way cool to both get the bucks they were after.

No Brainers! ;)

Way to go Eddie and Perks! ;) Glad you guys Got'er Done in a big way! :D Character bucks Rock!

Thanks for sharing the story and pics with everyone GB... as I know they never would.... couldn't happen to two harder working hunters, glad it was their turn!

The mass on blades is unreal, congrats to the hunters!

Two Great bucks killed...congrats guys ;)

I sure would love to know the mass measurements on the "Bladed Buck"

GB.......thanks for sharing their stories with us and there's no doubt they both deserved them bucks after all their hard work. It really takes alot of dedication to stick with it and it sounds like they have exactly what it takes to do whatever is neccessary. The wall of bucks is very impressive. Please give my congratulations to Chris and Eddie. Just awesome! :)

The picture of Blades from the top reminds me of Goldmans buck from the CW T-shirts ;)

Thats the first thing I thought of when I seen that pic. That buck is Sweet!

Congrats on 2 outstanding bucks and way to start off 2010.