Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

Tribute to Dad

Wow! Like everyone's said, great post. Luckily, you'll still have him around camp (and not just to cook). You'll get to relive all those hunts you've enjoyed with him through stories around the campfire. It's what life's about. Thanks for posting, TJ.

+1 for that one Jimmer

TJ You will still need to do the dishes though he said camp cook not camp _______ .

You are a very lucky man. I lost my dad to cystic fibrosis when I was 8 years old. I am 31 now and I still remember every hunting and fishing trip with him. The time a father and child spend together in th outdoors is some of the most important and memorable times we have on this earth. I have a daughter and a son that are 6 and 3. We just got back from our HAM hunt and they say they can't wait until next year. I hope I am as lucky as you and get to hunt and fish with them until I am physically unable too and have to turn in my rifle for a camp cook apron. Sounds like you have a ton more hunts ahead with your dad, I just hope he cooks well for your sake.

TJ,enjoy every minute you can with your dad.I think it's great that you guys can still fish,turkey hunt and camp out together.

That's good stuff. I just started hunting again with my dad after a 24 year hiatus. We have a lot to learn but, it is a blast figuring it out together.

Thank you for sharing & have a great day,

detox

That's good stuff. I just started hunting again with my dad after a 24 year hiatus. We have a lot to learn but, it is a blast figuring it out together.

Thank you for sharing & have a great day,

detox

detox.....I'm glad to hear you just picked up the trail again after 24yrs and hope you and your Dad have many hunting seasons to enjoy and share together the memories.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I will show Dad the post tomorrow and let him read all the replies. :)

TJ

Maybe he's got it right....sleep in, eat great camp food, enjoying the outdoors, and will be waiting in camp for you AFTER the pack out is complete :)

TJ...

You are very blessed to have shared those memorries with your Dad.... Just Awesome. You guys have some years of campfire time left and those memories will be special as well! Good luck to you both! ;)

Wow! It is really nice to see men setting aside their "muy malo" ways to speak frankly about loved ones and time spent together. Coming from a really old style upbringing showing compassion and love towards your brother or Father wasn't an accepted practice nor thought of "back in the day". My Father (who was a great hunter and teacher of the outdoor life) is still around but due to numerous heart failures and other medical conditions he has no real affection or thoughts of hunting anymore. So when I brought him my first Coues buck years ago which he never was fortunate enough to hunt, he merely says its a nice buck and then changes the subject to his great grandchildren and their dance recitals or something. Since then I have brought over new toys (guns and bows) in hopes he would look them over and give me his approval of them only to see him not really interested. So I envy those of you being able to share your time with your Father and do not take it for granted as it isn't always going to be there for us. My grandson is going to know all there is to know about the outdoor life and respect for wildlife, teh mountains and all those things I was taught as a young man so the tradition will continue God willing! Setting aside my own sorrow, pity or whatever it may be, I will continue to visit my Father and just remember the old days and appreciate what time we have left together! To all of you fellow outdoorsmen, (Ladies too of course) thanks for reminding me that it isn't always about me and that we need to enjoy every chance we have in the field whether it's alone or with loved ones. Better go now and do soemthing really fun like watch Old Yeller or maybe read Where the Red Fern Grows... :D