Sign in to follow this  
jakehaffey

camping ideas

I wasn't sure where to post this. I am looking to take my daughter on her first camping trip here soon and was wondering if anyone had any good ideas where to go. She is 19 months now and I have been waiting to take her for a while. We live in Chandler so we are not looking for too lengthy of a drive but any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks all.

Somewhere warm in the desert, possibly with running water. Sycamore Creek on the way to Payson? Is there a place towards superior? Bring lots of toys, healthy treats, and plan short activities. Have a fun weekend.

Thanks for the ideas RR, I was wanting to get in more trees but don't want to be somewhere with closed roads. I like the running water thought.

Maybe try heading towards Pinal Mountain (Globe-Miami-Superior) area where there are trees and it isn't too far from Chandler or at least not as far as the rim country. Or try somewhere outside Payson around Little Green Valley, Tonto Village, Tonto Creek area.

The lakes are always a good bet to have some fun fishing and camping all in one. I am going to camp out at Roosevelt for a few days as soon as the good fishing takes off.

I plan to make a trip or 2 up to roosevelt later this month or next. Just lookin for a good camp trip for the kid to enjoy the wild. Thanks all for the ideas.

It is a bit longer trip but Lynx Lake is just outside of Prescott, has water and restrooms, nice camp sites, and a small fishing lake. The weather is also warmer than the rim country. The best part is that town is about ten minutes away yet you are "in the woods". Have fun!!!

Unless you want to freeze your tail off better stick to the low lands. Roosevelt Lake would get my vote.

Roosevelt Lake is where I started taking my boys when they were little. Easter weekend.

We woke up Sunday morning with water running under our sleeping bags. My 4 year olds bag was wet but he was still sleeping.

That was the year it dropped like 20 inches of snow in Payson and that little kid got lost about 100 yards from home or something like that.

We drove home in my beater truck all the way back to Flagstaff, no heater, my wife was not happy.

Stay where it is warm this trip ;)

Unless you want to freeze your tail off better stick to the low lands. Roosevelt Lake would get my vote.

Roosevelt Lake is where I started taking my boys when they were little. Easter weekend.

We woke up Sunday morning with water running under our sleeping bags. My 4 year olds bag was wet but he was still sleeping.

That was the year it dropped like 20 inches of snow in Payson and that little kid got lost about 100 yards from home or something like that.

We drove home in my beater truck all the way back to Flagstaff, no heater, my wife was not happy.

Stay where it is warm this trip ;)

Certainly be careful if you camp close to lakes edge! years ago I went for a springtime fishing overnighter at San Carlos. I parked about 50 yards from the water. When I woke up in the morning the water was up a few inches on my back tires :blink: Its amazing how quickly the water level can rise, when you don't even expect it.