Sign in to follow this  
stalkincoues

Javelina with my Flintlock Longrifle Video

Just wanted to share my H.A.M. hunt on the weekend of Feb. 5th 2010

***I have shortened this into 2 videos now, cut a few minutes out mainly in the end. I tried to get it under 10 minutes, I trimmed as much as I could while documenting the hunt the best I could start to finish. Not sure just how much more I can cut it except for maybe a couple minutes after the hit, but if you're still watching at that point then you'll probably have enough interest to finish it out.***

I have had troubles with this gun in particular since I got it a few months ago. Every time I shot it I would have the rear sights adjusted one way or the other. Every time I left for the day the gun was shooting straight. Next time I'd go out the gun would shoot a foot left or right at 100 yards. My buddy doesn't call me "warning shot Williams" for nothing as you'll see!

I really wanted this to be a 100 yards gun just in case, but instead it was a 50 max gun. After the first morning and my luck I shot the gun a bunch for a few hours and decided I'd have to get within 35 yards max, to make a decent shot.

Didn't get a shot that evening. Couldn't find pigs the 2nd morning so I went and shot my gun for a couple more hours. The gun now was shooting 4"-5" high and 8-10" right at only 50 yards! Did some 1 shot drills for a couple of hours and got the left/right centered and knew where I'd need to hold for height. I now was confident enough to take a shot up to 50 yards.

I had more chances and opportunities than an individual should get throughot this hunt! Not that I was complaining one bit, but I have gone 5 days a few times without ever seeing a pig. This all made for a very fun and exciting hunt, but an incredibly frustrating one as well.

And no this is not a Murse (man purse), satchel, eurpoean carry all, man bag, etc..... :P, as a buddy likes to call them.

This is my first attempt at editing and making a hunting video. It is pretty long but I shortened it a ton. I am pretty bummed because we filmed this in High Def 1080i and it looks amazing on my tv directly from the camera, but I haven't been able to get that high quality to import into my software properly so I had to degrade the video down to Mpeg-2, 480. The 480 looks ok on my computer but terrible on Youtube, especially with all the green screen flickers,not sure what that's about? Upload problems???

Any ways, I hope you all enjoy. Since this is my first attempt and not really a clue I will welcome all advice and opinions as long as they are constructive. I'd love to hear from the guys who edit quite a bit, I need to advice and practice. I have a few more hunts I need to edit and put together soon. I know this video is waaay to long. I was trying to get it under 10 minutes, but still try to show the hunt start to finish. Guess I'll just have to trim and trim.

I had to break it up into 3 sections because it was so long. Make sure to watch them in order, hopefully it can keep your interest, I know I personally can lose interest after just a few minutes......

Thanks for watching, I hope you enjoy the hunt.

We got after the Javelina pretty quick and I forgot my camera in my truck. We had to take these pics with the video cam and turned out so so.

post-2205-1267158962_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of pan chargers that a gentleman made for me that shoots at a blackpowder club I shot at. I had him make me the small one for this hunt to use in the field.

With the additional pieces I made a patch knife. I'll make powder measures out of the others.

post-2205-1267159369_thumb.jpg

Here is the antler to give you an idea of what came from where. This was from a shed I picked up last year on a shed hunt.

post-2205-1267159527_thumb.jpg

Here is my gun that has driven me nuts! I think I am just going to have to buy a new barrel for it and start over, sure is pretty though.

post-2205-1267159701_thumb.jpg

And last... my Javelina Skull I boiled up and whitened. It was my first one but turned out pretty well, good practice at least

post-2205-1267159907_thumb.jpg

AMAZING!!! That was just awesome! Worth watching all the way through! Your 1st attempt at this? Seriously? Man you did an excellent job! I love hunting javelina and I felt like I was right there with you! Thanks for sharing your hunt with us!

-Tracy

The rear sight on a similar Traditions rifle i had "migrated" left or right; been 10 years, and I can't recall how I fixed it, but I tended to move the sight when I carrried the rifle.

However, once fixed, the rifle would group well.

Great video. Thanks

That was a great video and hunt! Thanks for posting it. I sure would like to see some more pig hunts on video. You should make one, just get your trusty camera man to film some more and put it all together. Maybe ask some members to let you film them? I know I would buy it! I like having the stalk and everything inolved, it does make you feel like your on the hunt and not just watching a bunch of kill shots.

Thanks guys, had a lot of fun making the video as well as putting it all together. I would love to make video's, I really wanted to film my last 2 but couldn't get my buddy out there, had a chance to film his last year but he decided killing was more important than trying to get it on film once we started the stalk and I was behind him with the camera.... :(

We had been talking about this and trying for the last couple of years and it finally worked out. Now I am excited to put a few more hunts together that I've filmed, this was the first Javi hunt though.

Great video! I like videos that show more then just the kill. You said you had a few more hunts on video please tell me at least one is a coues hunt. Thanks for sharing keep up the great work.

Joe

Awesome! B) Great work on ALL of it! Very Nice!

Lance

Great video!! I really enjoyed that. And thanks for stopping by the house before your hunt...I really liked checking out your gun. Beautiful and deadly!! Thanks for taking the time to create and post that video, excellent stuff!

Amanda