Sign in to follow this  
WHALE

Night time coon huntin

Just wondering if anybody here has hunted raccoons at night? Any tips or stories?

Did it as a kid growin' up.... ;) ... The advice I have is have a good light... :lol: I ended up in over my head and swimming in the East Verde one night cuz the water went from knee deep to ?? :blink: ?? in like one step... :o ...and that makes for a long cold night!!!! :rolleyes: :lol: Lots of Coons in your area.... Every creek bed in the Rim Country has em' in it....Good luck. ;)

it is the funnest thing ever. we float down a certain river and i beleive you cant shoot out of a canoe so we will just go in waders in winter or in swimsuit when it opens in august and jump out and blast them with some buck shot. doesnt tear them up hardly. but we dont use a spotlight just a nice headlamp cause the spotlight seems the scare them. but you see them PLENTY well with a nice headlamp. there eyes reflect back blue, but so do house cats ;) :ph34r: dont ask how i found out haha. but its alot of fun to do, weve had a few giant coons, like 3 foot long

Use to hunt them all the time in the north end of Las Vegas when I was younger. Its amazing how they come out of the wood work as soon as it gets dark. Drive around the dumps with a spot light and you would see those shiny eyes starring back at you.

I have never been. My brother called and wanted to try it out before the season ends, might have to give it a try. :unsure: I'll make sure I got a good light Gino that sounds like a good idea.

Are you guys using dogs or just shining em? Maybe one of these days ill give it a try. I still want a big racoon mount, i guess i really like smaller game mounts.

Are you guys using dogs or just shining em? Maybe one of these days ill give it a try. I still want a big racoon mount, i guess i really like smaller game mounts.

just shine them with a headlamp. walk or canoe down a river at night and shine, look for blue eyes. the spotlight seemed to scare them when i used it a few times and sometimes we wouldnt get shots