Sign in to follow this  
matthewp45

San Carlos Tags!

I am going to try and get another San Carlos coues tag this year. They go on sale finally this Saturday. All of the units except the R-100 trophy area are $1,500. Unit D use to be $2,500 a couple years ago but they lowered it to $1,500 because they were not selling all of them do to the higher price. One good coues deer huntin member went above and beyond this last year and killed a buck of 300 life times that scored 141" in unit C this year. So now because one monster coues buck was killed in unit C it is a trophy unit I guess. Just found out today 3 days before the sale they are raising unit C to $3,500 a tag. I have been in all the units including R-100 and C is in my opinion not any better than the rest. My question is - Do you think 1 big ole deer being killed in a unit makes it automatically a trophy unit and would you pay $2,000 more for the tag? Just curious.

No, I would go to old Mexico first as much as I hate that thought.

:blink: You're looney.

But to answer the original question: No, not unless I already knew where a big deer was or that was the unit I hunted every year and knew the potential. But just because a big deer got killed there last year doesn't mean much. Big deer can show up anywhere, anytime.

I think a buck like that can show up in any of the units, its just being in the right place at the right time! ;)

I agree with you CS. I hunted C last year too and I am going to change to a $1,500 unit where the "not so trophy deer are" right across the barbwire fence. If I kill a 140" buck I am not telling anybody so they won't make it a trophy area.

I can't remember for sure they took down the hunt schedule from the web today but I think the tags were going to changed to be able to hunt units A,B or C with 1 tag, but with this change I would probably guess that each tag in November will be for only 1 unit. I think they are $1,100 or $1,200 for November now. I would think they would have the new schedule and fees on the web before they go on sale on Saturday though. Keep checkin the web if you are interested.

Yes the permits are going on sale this saturday for sure. Friend of mine is a biologist up there and she confirmed it. I will put some more info up when I get it.

Anybody know how early you should show up Saturday morning to ensure getting a firt-come first-serve tag. Looking to pickup two Unit A tags.

Unit D use to be $2,500 a couple years ago but they lowered it to $1,500 because they were not selling all of them do to the higher price.

My question is - Do you think 1 big ole deer being killed in a unit makes it automatically a trophy unit and would you pay $2,000 more for the tag? Just curious.

I think you've answered that one. They can raise the price but if not all the tags are selling, the price will probably get reduced. I've never hunted San Carlos before and I see their new website. They don't list prices for Cow Elk or Javelina (I didn't get mine this year).

Does any one know the price? Also has anyone use a guide from their licensed guides list?

thx

Da HaYen

No, I would go to old Mexico first as much as I hate that thought.

+1

There are some combined tags for unit C/R-100 this year also. The cost will be $3500 for those. Not sure if it will be just one permit combined or all the C tags. As for what time to get there I would say early friday to beat the crowds that get there saturday morning!....... ;)

thx

Da HaYen

I would highly recommend Bob Stevens, his outfit is Apache Outdoors. Full time guide, been doing it forever, knows the res like the back of his hand.