Bucks_N_Yotes

Huskemaw 5-20 LR Rifle Scope

There are a few guys here including myself that have them. I love mine and have enjoyed great success with it. I think the optical quality is high and the repeatability of the clicks is dead on. I don't think there is a shooting system out there that is as simple to use under field conditions once you've got it all set up. Range it... Click it... Kill it!!!

Good luck!

Max

I was curious by your post, were you just interested in the BDC turret or the quality of the scope? The reason I ask is there are at least two other options, if you already have a quality scope but were interested in a BDC turret, that could save you some green.

First, I only own one scope with this capability. There are arguments for and against these accessories and the guys and guest of Best of the West sure make it look easy. Personally, I think BDC turrets help but their largest contribution is solidifying the confidence of the shooter.

The first option is a custom turret like those from Kenton. There order page has a list of scope manufactures they can make turrets for. Send them your data and they can CNC one for you.

The second option may look cheesy but works and saves you a few greens. Your scope has to have target knobs; Zero in your scope with your load and as close to the conditions you intent to hunt. Place a piece of masking tape around the turret and start marking off from the zero distance. This technique allows one to customize the scope during a sight in session before the hunt. A load with chronograph data and ballistic charts are a good starting point to determine where a round will impact.

Even if I owned a Huskemaw (which I am sure is a quality scope), I would want a turret for a 130gr TSX traveling 3100/fps for 7000' elevation out of my aut6 and one for 150gr Berger VLD moving at 2800/fps at 3000' elevation. But that's just me.

Happy huntin

Da HaYen

I own a Huskemaw and I have enjoyed hunting success with it out to some considerable distance. I think the turret system is what makes the scope because I believe the optical quality of the scope is not that good for the price. I have chosen to invest in Leupold scopes and have the turret put on them because the optical quality in my opinion is much better and the price is cheaper than a husekmaw. If you already have a leupold scope you can send it to them and they will put the turret on for $125.00. Once you have turret on the gun you can have Kenton industries make you a yardage cap that goes on your turret and that only costs $75.00. If you are looking to spend more money the swarovski scope with the outdoorsman turret is also amazing. I would encourage you to look through the scope next to a Leupole or a Swarovski before you make your purchase because the turret system can be duplicate from other companies. I hope this help.

Brian

Range it... Click it... Kill it!!!

Oh if it were only that simple!

It pretty much is if you do all the prework and have everything dialed. ;) ...and Obviously hunting conditions MUST be good in order to execute an ethical longrange shot.

I have the Huskemaw and think it is great! I find the optics to be equal to Leupold every day of the week... It is not Swaro or Ziess glass but the system that Huskemaw sells and the customer service that goes with each product you buy from them is what make this scope one of a kind. With out buying a Night Force or beyond... there is no one selling as comprehensive of a Longrange Hunting set up IMO.... ;)

I have heard nothing but good about the huskemaw scope, I was ready to buy one when my bro in law called me about a zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 on clearance for 599$, at sportsmans warehouse. So I use that with a kenton turret knob. Do some research on this site because there are some guys who really know there stuff when it comes to long range hunting. Also like coues and sheep stated, those guys at best of the west are very helpful and they know there stuff.

The glass in the Huskemaw is as good as any of the Leupolds that I have. That said, my only knock on it is that it is basically limited to one bullet, one velocity, one elevation... it is not very flexible. It is very simple, the turret is marked in yards rather than MOA or milliradians. I prefer to use a hand-held computer and click into my turrets what it suggests. My biggest complaint is a lack of suitable laser range finders that will range much beyond 700-800yds without a real reflective target- and yes, I am talking about the Leica and Swarovski units. I have not tried the Zeiss but I doubt it is any better.

Newcon has some that look interesting but the interesting ones start at about $2200.

If you are going to spend the money, you should really look at a night force. I have put the huskemaw, nikon, leopold, swarovski and nightforce all next to each other, the only thing close in the real world is the swarovski and they just don't have the options or the durability of the nightforce, just my .02$.

T

I sent a leupold 6-20 lr back to the factory and had a custom turrets put on for around $150. They work very well and was cheaper than getting a new scope.

Range it... Click it... Kill it!!!

Oh if it were only that simple!

It pretty much is if you do all the prework and have everything dialed. ;) ...and Obviously hunting conditions MUST be good in order to execute an ethical longrange shot.

I have the Huskemaw and think it is great! I find the optics to be equal to Leupold every day of the week... It is not Swaro or Ziess glass but the system that Huskemaw sells and the customer service that goes with each product you buy from them is what make this scope one of a kind. With out buying a Night Force or beyond... there is no one selling as comprehensive of a Longrange Hunting set up IMO.... ;)

C&S,

I've done my fair share of LR shooting. Having graduated both military and LE sniper schools I think I can speak from experience and tell you that it is never as easy as range, click, kill. Shooting conditions are rarely, dare I say almost never, ideal. A slight breeze of 4-5 mpg wind at even 600 yards will move your bullet. Then again when I shoot LR, I'm not just trying to hit an Elk sized target. I'm trying to hit something the size of a soda pop can.

The glass in the Huskemaw is as good as any of the Leupolds that I have. That said, my only knock on it is that it is basically limited to one bullet, one velocity, one elevation... it is not very flexible. It is very simple, the turret is marked in yards rather than MOA or milliradians. I prefer to use a hand-held computer and click into my turrets what it suggests. My biggest complaint is a lack of suitable laser range finders that will range much beyond 700-800yds without a real reflective target- and yes, I am talking about the Leica and Swarovski units. I have not tried the Zeiss but I doubt it is any better.

Newcon has some that look interesting but the interesting ones start at about $2200.

Dennis,

Rod and I have used his Lecia to range over 1300 yards (a single tree) on several occasions.

The method for LR hunting that you write about is the preferred method for hunting INHO. That being said, we had the "dial of death" on our M24's with Leupy MkIV. The scope was excellent and I liked the range dial it (yards and not MOA). It was a third dial on the scope calibrated specifically for the M118LR. That is one bullet at one speed PERIOD otherwise the dial was useless.

If you plan to hunt with one bullet, one powder, primer, brass, etc. etc. then by all means the Husk system is for you.

Dennis,

Rod and I have used his Lecia to range over 1300 yards (a single tree) on several occasions.

The method for LR hunting that you write about is the preferred method for hunting INHO. That being said, we had the "dial of death" on our M24's with Leupy MkIV. The scope was excellent and I liked the range dial it (yards and not MOA). It was a third dial on the scope calibrated specifically for the M118LR. That is one bullet at one speed PERIOD otherwise the dial was useless.

If you plan to hunt with one bullet, one powder, primer, brass, etc. etc. then by all means the Husk system is for you.

And dont forget one elevation, My next rig will wear a nightforse NXS with all MOA adjustments, for the elevation. I will most likely always shoot the same load but it will be my go to gun for any hunt from sea level to dall sheep perhaps, who knows I might win the lottery ;) Right now I shoot the swaro TDS reticle and it works great for shots less than 800yds because I have put in the time and know how it shoots, hopefully the 338edge w/ the nightforce will be a little more versitile for me.