Sign in to follow this  
ghostchaser

swaro 15X56 SLC or Vortex Kaibab

I have heard they are both great. Does the swaro warranty compare to the Vortex warranty? For those who have spent a good amount of time looking through both, which would you buy? I finally have the cash to get either. Thanks for your time

I have not looked at the Vortex but i do own the Swaro's and i love them. Also they have a great warranty, i knocked mine over in January and it chipped the eye piece. I sent them back and they charged me $75 to replace the glass, but they also exchanged every part on them for new parts so i pretty much have a brand new pair! You can't go wrong with Swarovski!!

i have a pair of the vortex kaibabs they are great for the money. The only reason i have the kaibabs are because my eyes are too narrow for the slcs or else i would have the slcs. There is a difference between the glass but in my opinion the kaibabs are comparably. you won't be sorry with either decision.

I just got my Vortex spotter back after a warranty return. It was on it's way back two days after they received it and came via Fedex. In the box there was an invoice that said "warranty repair, no charge" All you pay for is to ship the glass to Vortex. Repair/replace at no cost and they ship it back at their expense.

I have spent days behind Swaros and weeks behind my Kaibabs. I love my Kaibabs. The Swaros are crisper at EXTREME distances (3 miles), but 2 miles or less the difference is negligible. Go down to Sportsmans or Ross and compare them. I think you'll find the warranty and $800 price difference tips you towards Vortex.

• Like 1

Ive spent alot of time behind both. If you havent spent alot of time behind swaros you wont know the difference. There is a difference to me. I also think the fit and finish is better on the swaros. If i had to buy a pair id go vortex. If i was given a pair I'd choose swaros.

I would go with the Vortex for a few reasons:

1.) I have looked at both side by side in the field and the Vortex are way more comfortable to look through. This varies person to person and may not be the case for you.

2.) Vortex warranty is better, hands down. Some people may argue this but my dad had problems dealing with Swaro for his 15's and even got some not so friendly email responses from them when he questioned their customer service. Some members on here have had completely different experiences with swaro customer service where they have gone above and beyond and will swear by them.

3.) You have said that you have money for either one so that's not an issue. You could buy the Vortex and then you have money left over to spend on other gear :)

4.) I found almost no difference when looking at both side by side in the field.

There are some great reviews on this and other sites from people with much more experience and knowledge than me,. Maybe Doug will post the links to those when he sees this. I am not computer savvy enough to find them ;)

• Like 1

Just my opinion, but I have had two Vortex products and they both sucked. I did not have the Kaibabs though.

Swaros is what we use , last year I glassed up 3 large bulls at way over 3 miles, was able to tell they were very large, no one else that had other good optics could see the racks. Honestly they didn't have the Kaibabs so I couldn't compare them.

Family friends son Nolan wouldn't had taken a 330 bull in this unit with so many tags if we didn't have the Swaros, we would have just passed on these elk since they were so far away.

I have to recommend the Swaros if you can afford it and you hunt in Az or other areas you may be glassing long distances.

If you have the money, get the Swaro's. There may be a day that you regret not buying them when you had a chance and when they were less money.

Swarovksi and Leica are the most expensive for a reason. They are the best glass.... Period.

In spotting scope terms, I think Kowa are the best, but glasses, definitely swaro and leica.

Coues79,

I have spent a countless hours behind both glass and currently own the Kaibab's.

Price wasn't the main consideration for the purchase but weighing price vs. glass quality was. To me, the clarity difference wasn't so great that I could justify the additional cost. The Kaibabs are a quality binocular and you certainly won't be disappointed in the their performance. That being said, owning the Kiababs for awhile I will let you in on the subtle differences:

1) the eye pieces are more comfortable to me on the Kaibabs. The shape fits under my neanderthal brow much more comfortably. That being said, the eye cups have a tendancy slip their position in transport so, if a quick look at something is necessary you need to be aware of that. makes it a bit tricky when one cup is collapsed and the other is fully extended.

2) the center focus and right diopter knobs are soft and again have a tendancy to slip during transport.

Those two quirks could certainly annoy someone who is use to assuming the postion, jamming the binocular in their eye and getting their glass on. Its become a routine to me when setting up the legs so the annoying issue has gone away.

3) extreme low light at long distance- swarovski's swaro-brite coating gives it the advantage. Can't say for certain that there is a huge difference in the clarity, but certainly brightness which helps.

4) Finally the warranty- I've heard mixed reviews on the swarovski warranty. some folks have had nothing but the best customer service, while others have had to fight a little to get the issues fixed. and although I haven't had to use it, I have heard nothing but rave reviews from people who have needed to deal with the Vortex folks. That could change in time as their popularity grows but for now it seems they are superior in that department.

You really can't go wrong- if money is no issue buy the Swaro's, they aren't one of the top dogs because they make a crappy product. Vortex is coming though and I can see them fighting for one of the top three or four spots soon enough and that price difference will close drastically when it does......

Hope all that jibberish helps-

Stay loose,

Dave

i have a pair of the vortex kaibabs they are great for the money

+1

No complaints from me

Swaros is what we use , last year I glassed up 3 large bulls at way over 3 miles, was able to tell they were very large, no one else that had other good optics could see the racks. Honestly they didn't have the Kaibabs so I couldn't compare them.

Family friends son Nolan wouldn't had taken a 330 bull in this unit with so many tags if we didn't have the Swaros, we would have just passed on these elk since they were so far away.

I have to recommend the Swaros if you can afford it and you hunt in Az or other areas you may be glassing long distances.

Swaro's make dudes swear bulls are 370 when they turn out to be 330...

I say buy Leica's, that way you won't big eye everything. ;)

Bret Mattausch.

When we compared the Kaibabs and SLCs to each other at eh Marshall Lake campout, we found a slight resolution (1/2 block, iirc) in favor of the Swaros. The interocular distance was also noticed, favoring the Kaibab for a closer adjustment.

Here is another good review on OpticsTalk

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=20729

I would not hesitate to buy the Kaibabs and put the extra money saved towards an out-of-state hunt.

Doug~RR

I have the Swaros and I also had them tip over on me from a lite tripod this last Jan2010.. nothing was visibley broke but I could not see through themat all. I mailed them to Swaro and they fixed them at no charge and mailed them back, I was pleasantly surprised. Enjoy the celebration of new 'gear'. :D