Hello,

I live in the southwest corner of Arizona and have basically been hunting in Unit 33 for javelina and Coues whitetails the last 20 or so years. Somehow this year my partners and I got drawn for an October 28, whitetail hunt in Unit 29, a unit that no one in our party has ever hunted or even visited. I was wondering if any one had any info that could help a feller' find his way, without of course, giving away any secret spots or getting your hunting partners mad at you. Any info would be greatly apprecciated.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Hello,

I live in the southwest corner of Arizona and have basically been hunting in Unit 33 for javelina and Coues whitetails the last 20 or so years.  Somehow this year my partners and I got drawn for an October 28, whitetail hunt in Unit 29, a unit that no one in our party has ever hunted or even visited.  I was wondering if any one had any info that could help a feller' find his way, without of course, giving away any secret spots or getting your hunting partners mad at you.  Any info would be greatly apprecciated.

Hi KB

I just wanted to say hi and that I two would like to know more about this unit. Well, somebody had to write something! At least we will see some place new this year!

Scott

I recommend checking out Rustler Canyon, Paradise, Pinery, Cave Creek Canyon, all good areas. These are all in area 29, near the NM border. You can find detailed info on how to get there on the AZGFD website. I've had good luck there. You'll get to hunt in the pines or scrub oaks, depending on where you go. I've spotted them right off the road most years. There's a creek running year round right off most of the road through Cave Creek canyon. This is a hotspot, but very dense vegetation. I've had trouble getting shots through. All around, it's a good area to hunt, and there's good places to camp. If you come in through Portal, there is a nice place to grub.

Good luck.

:lol:

Guest Reynaldo de la Torre
Hello,

I live in the southwest corner of Arizona and have basically been hunting in Unit 33 for javelina and Coues whitetails the last 20 or so years.  Somehow this year my partners and I got drawn for an October 28, whitetail hunt in Unit 29, a unit that no one in our party has ever hunted or even visited.  I was wondering if any one had any info that could help a feller' find his way, without of course, giving away any secret spots or getting your hunting partners mad at you.  Any info would be greatly apprecciated.

What kind of hunter are you? Do you like to get way in there? Do you just like to stay near a road of camp?

Hello,

I harvested a little Coues down there a couple of years ago--1st time was a charm. I hunted Cave Creek Canyon past the research center. Only saw a couple of does & fawns otherwise, but only hunted 2 days. Knew of 1 other buck taken in the general area. Talked to some guys camped next to me who were chasing one around for awhile--no luck.

I pulled a tag for there again--Nov 13th season. Last time I camped at Sunnyflat CG, but may boony camp this time.

My first choice for Javelina this yr is 33--trade you notes!!! :(

Guest Reynaldo de la Torre
Hello,

Unit 29 is a great place to hunt Coues. If you like easy walking try the west side - around Turkey Creek, Pinery Canyon or even the Rucker Canyon Area. If you like to get "out there" and hunt some rough country - try the east side - Horseshoe Canyon area. Rough and steep country ! BIG DEER ! Good Luck.

I hunted that unit 4yrs ago not saying much. but when i did my buddy and i both taged out on a couple nice bucks not real big but very very good lookin deer.we saw about 6 bucks, 30 does in 2 days and not another hunter. Its just too far for me to hunt anymore and too rugged 4 my buddy. So good luck guys its a fun hunt also great for bear, we had one climb up and start knawing on the face of my deer by the time we noticed (heard) the nose was gone.

Thanks for the replies. We ended up camping in West Turkey Creek. Opening morning we saw one real nice buck, 4 point and one spike. We weren't able to bag either one. Second day we saw a nice 4 point also. No success there either. On the drive in on Friday evening we saw 2 real nice 4 point mule deer right next to the road. Lots of deer in there, but rough country. We did see a lot of bear sign too.