Very interesting reading about the Big 10 club and also Curtis Prock.As noted the Big 10 was started by Bob Householder who was the editor of the magazine"Arizona Wildlife Sportsman".The youngest hunter to complete the Big 10 was Ricky Coughlin who lived here in Peeples Valley.He was 19 years old when he drew his sheep tag in the early to mid 1960's.Nathan Ellison was good friends with Rick,and guided him to bear,lion,and also coues deer.Ricky had cystic fibrosis,and died at 26.His trophy room is still intact,with Rex Maughan being the owner of it and the old Coughlin ranch.As far as Curtis Prock goes he was convicted of turning lions loose out of cages [canned hunts],and wasn't supposed to guide again in Ariz.in the 1960's

I have 8 of the ten, all with a bow. Did 7 of them in one year six were with a bow. Would of got seven but had a kiabab deer tag so passed up on alot of smaller bucks while bowhunting.

Some history:

The Arizona Big Ten Award began in the 1950s with the now defunct-magazine Arizona Wildlife Sportsman magazine under its then-editor Bob Housholder, who also founded the Grand Slam Club. Fewer than thirty hunters, including two women, I believe, received the award and were featured in articles in the magazine.

In the late 1960s, Bob Hirsch replaced Housholder at the magazine and dropped the award as the failing magazine attempted to bring "general outdoor enthusiasts" into its readership by calling itself Arizona Wildlife & Travelogue Magazine and reducing emphasis on hunting and fishing.

In the late 1990s, the various Arizona chapters of Safari Club International picked up the award and sent out requests for candidates. More than two dozen people immediately qualified and were presented plaques engraved with their names and artwork of the ten Arizona big game animals. There was (and probably still is) a fee for applying.

Unlike the AWF's Big Nine Award, there is no prohibition on using guides, dogs or "electronic devices." The only stipulation is that the animals be taken legally within the state of Arizona. The ten animals that qualify for the Big Ten Award are: Coues whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn antelope, elk, bison, bear, mountain lion, javelina, wild turkey and bighorn (either desert or Rocky Mountain).

Other than moderating a seminar for first-time hunters in Africa at its conventions, I have not been active in SCI issues for a long time but I assume the chapters in Arizona still are presenting the award.

As for a list of everyone who has received the Big Ten Award since the 1950s, I don't know if such a list exists.

As I remember, Bob Hirsch knew of 27-28 people and I passed their names on to the SCI chapter in Tucson, but Bob wasn't certain whether his list was complete or not.

Since then, I'd guess that another 30-35 people have qualified, which means there probably are fewer than 75 people who have taken all ten animals in Arizona over the past sixty years or so.

The last I heard, each SCI chapter held award ceremonies for qualifying hunters residing in its area. I would hope that someone is keeping a master list.

Bill Quimby

Wow, this is an ol' thread that was resurrected. But since it was, a bit of an update.

As many of you already know, I now have in my possession a 45C desert sheep permit -- FINALLY!! So if I don't die trying and the mountain gods shine their light on me, I just might reach #9 next month. Unfortunately, the recent spring draw results informed me that I was again unsuccessful for the spring bison hunt. So it will be almost a year before I try again with my 14 BPs since I don't apply for the Raymond Ranch hunt. And...by then I'll be 72.

• Like 1

Man, this thread was a blast from the past. Glad someone resurrected it. Some great reading here.

Really enjoyed this thread. Thanks guys.

Glad to see some new life being breathed into this topic. I currently have eight of the big ten and I'm hoping to close in on the last two before I'm too old to make it happen. Still missing mountain lion (can't seem to get one called in) and Desert Bighorn Sheep (21 points and counting). The Big Ten award would mean a lot to me. I hope it is still around when, and if, I finally qualify.

I have 9. Believe it or not the one I'm missing is Antelope. I've put in every year for 40 years and nada. Sheep scored 181 and while I took my buffalo back in the "pen" days it didn't work out that way. They had busted out of Houserock and were running wild in the Cocks Combs. Turned out to take 6 days and was a very physically challenging hunt.

I have 9. Believe it or not the one I'm missing is Antelope. I've put in every year for 40 years and nada. Sheep scored 181 and while I took my buffalo back in the "pen" days it didn't work out that way. They had busted out of Houserock and were running wild in the Cocks Combs. Turned out to take 6 days and was a very physically challenging hunt.

How could you have put in for antelope for 40 years in a row and not drawn? What tag are you applying for? You have to in the max points for just about anything you would want. Just curious.

I have 8 of the ten, all with a bow. Did 7 of them in one year six were with a bow. Would of got seven but had a kiabab deer tag so passed up on alot of smaller bucks while bowhunting.

please explain?

This is a cool thread. I have all 13 big game animals in AZ. Elk, Coues deer, mule deer, desert bighorn, rocky mountain bighorn, antelope, buffalo, javelina, Merriams turkey, Goulds turkey, rio grande turkey, bear, mountain lion. Of the 13 I have harvested 10 with a bow. I have been very fortunate when it comes to the draw. I completed this by the age of 33.

This is a cool thread. I have all 13 big game animals in AZ. Elk, Coues deer, mule deer, desert bighorn, rocky mountain bighorn, antelope, buffalo, javelina, Merriams turkey, Goulds turkey, rio grande turkey, bear, mountain lion. Of the 13 I have harvested 10 with a bow. I have been very fortunate when it comes to the draw. I completed this by the age of 33.

Sounds like you are one lucky SOB when it comes to tags and I thought I had it good.

be right back, killing myself

• Like 2

I have been very blessed and I am thankful for havin the opportunities that I have had. Although some don't always like Arizona's draw the one thing that is nice is that every year every person has a chance to draw no matter how many points they have. The hardest part about harvesting most of these animals is drawing the tag. Keep putting in and you luck will come. Apply Apply Apply!!!! Good luck!!

• Like 1