Sign in to follow this  
5yearcoueshunter

First Gila Bird

Hello,

I wanted to share my first ever Gila gobbler I got this past Saturday. It was a cool hunt. It turned out to be not the typical or most desirable scenerio of calling in that big Tom, but more of hearing a gobbler, moving in closer and stalking within range. After chasing one Tom for an hour in the morning, with him being very unresponsive and gobbling very little until he finally he shut up, I was heading back to the truck when I heard 2 gobblers way across a big canyon. I decided to head their direction and see if I could get them to come in. After getting about halfway there, they shut up. I tried to go to the last place I thought I heard them and do a little calling, but had no responses. I had decided to give it up and head back to the truck. As I made my way up the hill, I looked into an open meadow and saw a turkey fan! I wasn't far from the road, so my first thought was that it was a decoy as there were some other hunters in the area. But then I saw the gobbler move, and then another strutting one behind him. They were about 100 yards away. I looked around for hens, but those were the only 2 turkeys I saw. I slowly set up and started to call. Nothing! They never made a sound or even looked my direction. I couldn't figure it out. Well not 30 seconds after I called I realized why I had been ignored. The 2 Toms proceeded to jump on a couple of hens backs and start to mate! I couldn't believe it! I didn't even know those hens were there. They were laying there flat and I hadn't even noticed them. Both gobblers had their backs to me and were preoccupied, so I figured I should try to make a stalk on them. They were in a big meadow, but there was a couple of small bushes between us. So I slowly crawled forward. After about 5 minutes, I had reached the farthest bush. There was nothing between me and the mating turkeys but open space. I forgot my rangefinder that day, but I figured they were about 50 yards. I knew my shotgun and the load I was using was capable of that. All I had to do now was wait. There was no way I was going to shoot either one of those Toms while they were getting busy. That would be just wrong. haha So I sat there and got to witness something that I doubt I'll ever see again. Finally after about another 5 minutes, both gobblers jumped off and the bigger one gave me a good shot. I had my first Gila gobbler! He has a 9 1/2 inch beard, but very stubby spurs. I thanked the Lord for the morning and headed back to the truck. My Dad couldn't believe it when I told him the story. The next day, my Dad and I went back to the meadow. I took the range finder this time and found out I shot the turkey at 63 yards! That was way too far, and I felt bad about taking that shot. I could have crippled and lost him at that range. That taught me a lesson to always take my range finder as those flat meadows always fool me.

Here he is! I'll never forget this hunt! Even though I charged my camera battery before I left, it was dead when going to take pictures, so I had to use my phone. Not the best pics, but they will do.

Thanks,

Travis

2010-05-01112320.jpg

2010-05-01112611.jpg

congrats on a nice bird and great story. It sure seems like the turkey in that area of the state have thicker beards than birds in other parts of the state.

Congrats and good job on closing the deal!

Turkeys here in this part of the state very rarely get spurs of any decent length, mostly due to the terrain that keeps them rubbed down.

By looking at your pics I think I can almost pinpoint were you guys were hunting.....and if my guess is correct that is some rugged country and toms rarely get spurs.....atleast not the ones we have taken out of their

jeff

Thanks guys! Jeff, yeah that's what we figured too about the spurs. The country around there is very rocky, so I'm sure that's why they are short and somewhat rounded off. PM me if you want with your guess on location and I'll let you know if your right. haha

Travis

Congratulations Travis. Now that you've broken the ice you'll be shooting them out of self defense. ;)

Nice bird,

--Bill

Congratulations on your first gobbler. It only takes one bb to kill a bird if hit right and it must of been. Watching them birds in action will be some memories for sure and them pictures are dang good coming from your cell phone. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Thanks guys for your replys! Really appreciate it. Just to clarify, this isn't my first Gobbler, just my first Gila Gobbler. This is actually Tom number 6 for me. I love hunting Spring Turkeys!

Bill, you're right about that self defense thing. Three of my Tom's were shot at 7, 12 and 22 yards! lol

Thanks,

Travis

Congrats Travis, that's a nice bird! Jeff, I think, hit the nail on the head. I've killed a bunch of Gila birds and none of their spurs have hit the 1" mark. I'm almost sure that the steep hills and rocky terrain wear them down as fast as they can grow. I know genetics play a role as well but I truly think its the wear and tear that keeps them short.

It must have been really cool to watch them mate. Never actually seen it happen in the field. Also tells me they are a little behind schedule. Usually hens are nesting by now. I'll post up my 2010 adventures when the season is over.

Kevin

Congrats Travis. I'll post pictures of the gila bird I got this last sunday.