Sign in to follow this  
dpr64

Dual application for Coues

Hi...I have been applying and getting drawn for what I basically wanted the last 5-7 years but this year my 26 year old son (he has been away in the service) wanted to do a hunt with me but I am concerned about doing a dual application or applying with 2 people on the one application. Will our odds go down dramatically for being picked? I don't want to miss the season due to that possible fact yet I want to get out there with him this fall. What do you all suggest or know from experience on this?

Dennis

It shouldn't be a problem having him on the app. with you. If you are applying for Dec. rut hunts your odds are slim anyway. I'm sure lots of guys here get drawn for deer every year applying with their friends or family. We were told a long time ago by my wife's uncle (retired G&F computer nerd) that the best way to get drawn for elk, antelope etc. etc. is to apply alone. We do that for elk and antelope every year and most of the time with deer too. This way someone has a better chance to go. It works, my wife, my son and I all got elk tags this year. Put in seperate and if he draws you still get to go help him. Good luck!

They would average your bonus points, so if your son has two or more less than you, then yes, your odds go down. Depending upon which unit and hunt season and how many BP you have, it may put you out of the 20% pass for top BP holders.

If you do not draw, then you coud also apply together for one of the likely leftover tags in the border units.

The odds of either one of you having a tag by putting in separately would be better than putting in together, but it could end up that only one has a tag, or you may draw different hunts if you both draw and have put in several choices.

Having your dual app selected and not getting a tag might only hurt if there is just one permit remaining.

And a lot of this depends upon #BP, what unit and season you want to apply for.

Just Put in for the Hunts you usually would with your Son added .... If you do not get drawn then get a left over and Enjoy your Hunt with him ..... DO not change your picks, maybe adding him will give you some much needed luck...

Put in with your son. It sounds like that's what you really want, and if you have been frequently drawn the last 5-7 years you shouldn't have alot of bonus points anyways to worry about averageing the two of yours together. Besides, it's a crap shoot anyways. Last year, my brother had 6 bp's for elk and I had 4. We put in seperate. He drew, I did not. This year, we put in together, along with a friend that had never even put in. Guess what, we are all going elk hunting!!

When I was younger I prefered to have a hunting buddy, my dad, family or friends. Now we all try to put in seperate. That way we all get to go hunting every year. We usually get to go on an early archery bull hunt and a Dec WT hunt. There are plenty of Oct or Nov tags to fill the time between. Occasionaly we will have issues with people drawing different units at the same time, but we try to avoid that on our apps. I get a lot of joy out of glassing and packing animals wether they are mine or a friend's. If you want an Oct WT hunt, it shouldn't hurt you, but its all chance.

good luck

You will get a tag good luck!!!!! Besides if you do not get drawn there will be plenty of left over tags for you and your son to put in for