Black Bare

What to do with $500...

Would I be waisting my time and money getting a spotting scope for less than $500? I'm looking for something to team up with my swaro 15x56 but don't have the dough for upper-class glass. The few cheap spotting scopes I've used have been worthless and hardly usable. Those experiences have me concerned about buying one for less than $500.

Any opinions on a spotting scope in that price range would be appreciated...

Thanks,

B.A. Bare

Hi,

I use a minox spotting scope that I bought from Doug at cameraland. It was a demo that I think I paid about that much for. I had the same concerns but Doug understood and said I could return the scope if it didn't live up to my expectations. I use mine with my 15's and though the quality isn't lecia or swaro, it has saved me some walking when it comes down to picking apart a buck's rack. It is about the lightest scope out there and I use the 21-42 eye piece.

Give Doug a call at cameraland. He is a sponsor of the Amanda's site and is a good man to work with. I've bought a few items from him.

Good luck,

Brent

I read an article in the Eastmans’ Journal on spotting scopes about 10 months age. The Nikon ED series was the best spotting scoping scope for the money. But I recommend the high end Leica,Swarovski and Zeiss. :ph34r:

Good luck,

Gary

It would be our pleasure to discuss options with you

If you can't save for a few more months to get into upper end glass you may look at Vortex. They make good glass and have a great warranty.

And Leupold is coming out with a new spotter this year per the catalog. The Kenai will offer 30x wide angle and 25-80 eye pieces as part of the package to their 80mm objective. Runs around $900 msrp so you can probably find it cheaper. Save for a couple more months and it will be in your price range.