Sign in to follow this  
DCMHunter

Population management hunts

I recieved a call from the game and fish yesturday and comfirmed my interest today for a population management hunt at House Rock for a cow or yearling Buffalo. Can anyone give me information on this hunt? The hunt is on the 18th, 19th, and 20th of this month, so I only have a short time to prepair. What can I expext to encounter on this hunt? :rolleyes: :D

DCM

Take a lot of help with you. It is hot and hard work to process even a small buffalo. Lots of ice and coolers to pack the meat in also. An ez up canopy is helpfull. I would also take a battery operated saws-all with long blades to make quick work of cutting it up. Good luck and make sure you take lots of photos to post here after your hunt.

And if you shoot one and it runs into the Park you are probably out of luck. Good luck on your hunt! Hope you get one.

Call Lance Crowther of Timberland Outfitters (one of our sponsors). he and his guides have been killing several buffalo up there this year and in previous years. I believe he is up there now or will be again next week. Give him a call and see what he can do for you.

http://www.tlohunting.com/

Call Lance Crowther of Timberland Outfitters (one of our sponsors). he and his guides have been killing several buffalo up there this year and in previous years. I believe he is up there now or will be again next week. Give him a call and see what he can do for you.

http://www.tlohunting.com/

+1

On these population management hunts, doesn't a G&F guy go with the hunter?

I know a guy that got this tag last year, at the last minute the G&F guy had him take a young bull. A sheet of plywood, couple of planks and a come-along work great for getting the carcass into the back of your truck after field dressing - I've done it with beef cattle quite a few times. Need a way to hook the come-along to the front of the bed, we used a short chunk of chain. There are 160 qt coolers at Costco, a 120 will fit a cow elk so a couple 160's will hold a lot of buffalo, think they run around $80. Freeze a couple cases of drinking water bottles for ice, will keep the meat from soaking in water.

I know a guy that got this tag last year, at the last minute the G&F guy had him take a young bull. A sheet of plywood, couple of planks and a come-along work great for getting the carcass into the back of your truck after field dressing - I've done it with beef cattle quite a few times. Need a way to hook the come-along to the front of the bed, we used a short chunk of chain. There are 160 qt coolers at Costco, a 120 will fit a cow elk so a couple 160's will hold a lot of buffalo, think they run around $80. Freeze a couple cases of drinking water bottles for ice, will keep the meat from soaking in water.

I know that guy too Slim i believe he borrowed a .375RUM from a guy to kill his Buff!! I bet he will be on here soon to talk about it too!!

Hey you old farts talkin' about me?? haha :lol:

I have exchanged a couple PM's with Darren on his hunt. He is in for a treat for sure. I had a blast last year and wish I could do it again some day. I guess I can, but just not here in AZ!

the G&F are getting a little ahead of their selves on this one in hopes that there will be buff down on the range by then. Right now there are no buffalo on the House Rock and if they dont show up they will cancel your hunt. so pray some buff show up by then. That should be your main concern.

Lance

The Game and Fish called yesterday and said that the hunt is being postponed one week, Because the draw hunters had bushed all the buffalo off of house rock this last weekend. They have rescheduled for the 25th, 26th and 27th. :(

I am haveing a hard time shifting schedules again to have time for this hunt. And I will be leaving the 28th for Kerrville Tx so my 4H kids can shoot in the national invitational turnament.

The department is trying to work with me to get a tag and is still sending me a box of ammo.

It is a bummer to get the call, make all the neccessary change and then have them postpone the hunt. Although I would like some animals be able to hunt. Especially with such a short hunt.

DCM