Sign in to follow this  
Simple Hunter

Lion Rug Mounting

I just got my lion rug back from Jerry's Taxidermy - excellent work by the way. Now the question is, what is the most common way to hang the lion? I.E., horizontal, angled with head up, angled with head down. It is a big cat so angled fits better on the wall - but I am not so sure I like the angle with head up - on the same token I am not sure I like the angled with head down because then poky kids can get all kinds of fingers on the head.

If anyone has pics of their lion rug on the wall - please post away and based on the poses I will mount mine and send pictures of it later.

Save the lion rug pictures on the bedspread or draped over the couch... :lol: :lol: My wife won't go there!

I stapled my rug to my wall--just stapled the felt not the hide. It looks pretty good.

It ain't a lion, but I have this bear and bobcat rug with the heads slightly down. My zebra is with the unmounted head up, however. For hanging, I use 3/4" round-headed upholstery tacks through the felt. If you have two felt layers, put the tacks under the top layer to hide them.

post-82-1277046481_thumb.jpg

post-82-1277046764_thumb.jpg

post-82-1277046891_thumb.jpg

post-82-1277046948_thumb.jpg

It ain't a lion, but I have this bear and bobcat rug with the heads slightly down. My zebra is with the unmounted head up, however. For hanging, I use 3/4" round-headed upholstery tacks through the felt. If you have two felt layers, put the tacks under the top layer to hide them.

I like the slightly angled down head - seems like that shows more of the head than an angled up pose

Okay - so I went ahead and hung it angled down. What do you think? I'd still like to see others if there are any out there.

post-2231-1277092999_thumb.jpg

This is a pretty big southern cat - just shy of 7 feet from tail to nose. The biologist that checked him in estimated he was 3-4 years old based on his teeth. The tooth analysis says he was 2 years old. ??? I believe the former estimate - this cat was too big and beefy to be a 2-year old.

post-2231-1277093305_thumb.jpg

This is my son standing below him - my son is 55" tall. That gives a good impression of how big he is. I didn't weigh him in the field or at the taxidermist but based on many years of packing mature whitetails out over my shoulders - this cat was significantly heavier - I'd say he was 120 lbs dressed out - probably 150 lbs with his guts.

It must be a cold day in heck.... Cant believe your wife let you hang that thing....

I like the slightly angled down head - seems like that shows more of the head than an angled up pose

Looks good. With the head down, it shows the eyes and mouth better than if the head is pointed up.

It must be a cold day in heck.... Cant believe your wife let you hang that thing....

She let me hang it because I had it draped over the back of the couch and she was tired of sitting on the couch with the lions arm around her neck :P Big dog, when are you going to get a cat ?

looks great Scott!

congrats again on the kitty cat.