clb

Jaguar from az

Awesome picture! A woman that works the bar in Arivaca told me that a deer hunter in 2008 showed her a picture he had taken with his cellphone of a solid black jaguar while deer hunting then.

I spoke to a hunter near the lake in 07 or 08 and he told me that he and his wife saw that cat walking down the road a few miles south of there. No pics though.

holy crap. that is the most badass animal i've ever seen. good night what a beast. Lark.

I know Lark. All of it is full of awesome but to me the eyes set it off.

That is really Fascinating. Too bad they aren't still around. Thanks for sharing.

there are lotsa jags, just not in Az. never have been but a few here. go down to central america where they live, and there a bunch of em. Lark.

• Like 1

Back in 2007, 3 or 4 drivers making the Prescott run for work, reported seeing a black mountain lion in the early morning off Iron Springs Rd, I believe. Two of them told my father what they saw without knowledge of each other's stories.

Sweet Jaguar! That makes four photos of jaguars I've seen from this southwest area. This one, Macho B, one off of the San Carlos Reservation, which was I think the last jaguar harvested in Arizona, and one I got a copy of about a decade ago. I used to play soccer in a Hispanic league, and a large percentage of its players were undocumented from Mexico, Central, and even South American countries. I used to bring a soccer clipboard out to the games and had some of my hunting pictures on it along with various plays I wanted to try. One of the players saw a mountain lion photo I harvested and mentioned that his uncle had shot one like that down in Mexico on the ranch he lives on, but that it had spots on its body. I immediately thought of a young lion in my mind and asked if he had any pictures it. He siad he had two pictures and brought them out to one of our next games; and low and behold it was indeed a small jaguar! So much for the Endangered Species Act! We can obey the laws in our country to protect certain species, but we really have no control over what other people do in their own boarding countries. I don't even know if Mexico has game laws or if they signed on to protect jaguars or not. However, I'm sure that the common poor rancher down south has no idea of any such legislation and even if he did..would it matter to him? He would do whatever it takes to protect his livelihood and eliminate threats to his family economy.

That Jaguar was probably shot with an AK47 smuggled into Mexico by the "Fast and Furious" operation!

This post is meant in no way to criticize our neighbors, its just a simple comment to point out the reality of legislation versus survival in a rugged world.

I think Jaguars are one of the most beautiful animals on the planet, I have been fascinated with them since a very young age. It's awesome to think that there is still a few around, hopefully that one day they will end up with a stable population! My dad actually claims to have seen one about 25 years back while he was hunting with his friend up in 33. Said he told his friend to get on it because he thought it was a lion, but once they realized it was a Jaguar they sat in awe and he felt bad for trying to put his friend on it!

I also think Mullins spotted a black jag while hunting in Mexico a few years back. (?)

I did see one while hunting south of Obregon, MX several years ago. It was darker colored than some pics that I've seen but not black.

My client, Steve, was sitting with me and my friend, Craig, was doing a push through the canyon below us with a machete. The country was way to thick to be hunting coues in! Craig radioed me saying he smelled something dead, I told him to find it as I hoped it was a buck and would give us a better idea of the genetics on that ranch. As he slashed his way in the thick stuff he heard something run out and radioed me saying something busted out. I spotted it climbing up out of the canyon from where Craig was and immediately thought it was a lion. The sun was coming over the hill in front of me so I was looking at the shadowed backside of him, he looked too dark for a lion but had the long tail. As he neared the top of the first ravine he turned broadside and my heart stopped beating! I could plainly see the spots and he looked like a spotted bear with a tail! I yelled to Craig on the radio that it was a Jaguar and instead of a reply back, all I could hear was some serious machete slashing as he ran back to us full speed! Craig was a little scared to say the least finding out he just kicked a Jaguar of a kill!

Steve and I just sat in awe for probably 5 mins as we watched the Jaguar climb slowly up out of the canyon and over the top! To this day I kick myself in the butt for not running to my pack and getting the video camera! I had full intentions of getting a trail cam on whatever the kill was but guiding duties wouldn't allow it and my client didn't want to lose half a day of hunting to do it :(

Also, prior to us hunting that ranch, the cowboys found a dead cow. They put poison on it to kill the Lion that they thought killed the cow and the next day found a dead Jaguar! The ranch owner took the dead Jag to a taxidermist in town to have it lifesized. I told them I didn't believe it so they took me there to see it for myself! The cape was in a 55 gallon drum with tanning solution and I tried lifting it up out of the barrel but even while holding the Jags face with arms fully extended the back end was still in the bottom of the barrel! It was huge! That Jaguar appeared darker colored than the one I saw but I figured it was the the tanning solution making it appear that dark.

I was just browsing a Mexico website not long ago, can't remember which one, but it had an article about a Jaguar survey in Mexico and concluded there were at least 4000 Jags alive and well in Mexico! I was happy to hear that! Most amazing animal I've ever seen! JIM>