Sign in to follow this  
rtkemp

Peep Sight Trouble

I'm shooting a 2004 PSE Firestorm (single cam / 30") with the original factory proview angled peep sight with tube.

I have had frequent trouble with this peep only over the last year.

The peep tubing first began pulling off regularly and ended up replacing the tube and lengthening it, the gluing it to the peep. It eventually stayed on.

Then later, the entire peep sight began pulling out during target practice (no dry firing). This happened several different times. Each time I would take it in to the shop and have a tech add threads the string.

Now I just had my bow restringed and tuned. I have shot about 200 arrows and my peep sight started pulling out of alignment and eventually came out. I'm frustrated that I keep having probles with peep.

What needs to happen?

Change to a new sight? Change draw length? See a different shop?

Any help would be appreciated...

I had the same trouble...I just scarred the prong off of the sight with a razor knife to give it a little barb type feel and slipped the tube back on. No problems since...this was two years ago....

-Jeremy-

The factory PSE peeps are famous for sliding out of the string. Also if it has the factory PSE serving above and below the peep that can be one of the problems also. PSE only does loose half hitches and it does not hold the peep in place at all. If you want swing on by Bass Pro Shops I work in the archery department almost everday.

This wont help you now but the next time you need strings get some Winners Choice strings and cables and tubeless peep. No more tube problems and your peep stays put. Its a little more costly for the strings but IMO its worth it.

Ron

I feel your pain. I got a new string last year and my peep sight was rotated. Not knowing what I was doing I pulling it out with the string under tension and tried sticking it back in the string so it was straight. Needless to say I didn't have much luck and ended up ruining my string. After paying 100 + for a new string and cables I decide enough was enough, so I bought a couple bow tuning books and did some reading. I got a portable bowpress from Cabelas for around 40 bucks. The book I read said to take the string off and twist it a number of times in the direction the peep was naturally wanting to rotate until it is in the correct position. I felt like I was twisting it too many times and it just wasn't quite rotated all the way back around, so I flipped the peep 180 and backed off a couple of twists. I have a peep without the tubing and now it comes to perfect position every time I draw. To be honest I probably took the string off my bow 10 or more times and the process took a while to get just right. It was frustating at first but ended up being satisfying. I have a G5 metapeep sight that is not served into the string and I have not experienced it popping out. Maybe your serving is slipping or possibly a problem with the peep itself? Good luck with your setup.

You can also pick up a peep aligner, acts as a nocking point, they work pretty good, I believe TRU makes them. Their Spyder string silencers work too, if you have a chrono and a little time you can add fps to your bow if you find the sweet spot.

This wont help you now but the next time you need strings get some Winners Choice strings and cables and tubeless peep. No more tube problems and your peep stays put. Its a little more costly for the strings but IMO its worth it.

Ron

Ditto. I have always used a winner choice string, and the tubeless peep. Your peep will not rotate for thousands of shots. When it starts. It's time for a new string.

Also, FYI: If you are using a peep tube, make sure that you are wearing some sort of glasses. There was a guy on this site a few years back (maybe it was bowsite?) that had his tube break and snap into his eye. He lost his vision in the eye.

Mark

Thanks for all the input.

I already got the new Winners choice strings on.

But will get rid of the factory PSE peep and go with the new Whisper Peep. I will stay with the tube and scuff up the peep a little.

Can't wait to get shooting again.

Thanks again

The winners choice should not twist. Ditch the rubber tubing before it breaks and snaps you in the eye.

What he said. You also lose some speed with a peep tube.

Mark

Sounds like its time for a tubless, we install the vast majority of peeps tubeless and its definitly the way to go after your strings stretch you will not need to worry about it twisting as long as it is tied in properly you will want to make sure that it is tied in as the peep could come out upon firing and I have heard stories of the peep coming out hitting the riser and boucing back into the shooter which could be quite dangerous espeically around the eyes.