muledeerarea33?

wal-mart vs local shops?

yesterday I bought a Leupold 3x9 40 scope at a local gun store here in tucson. paid about 300 bucks for it and dont think that is a bad price? saw the same scope at walmart for 200 bucks with the exception that the wal mart scope said "rifleman" on the end. Now I will support my local shops until the day I die and buy little from walmart if any. I am just wondering how they can take the same product and sell it for a hundred bucks cheaper. I know they buy in bulk but thats one heck of a price difference. just wondering what everyone else thought about that kind of stuff

Daniel

If the first scope is a VariXII it is a step up from the Rifleman.

The Rifleman is a fairly new scope from Luepold and is an entry level scope.

On the subject of Wally world, I won't shop there :) and thats a whole different can of worms.

The current trend in retail is to find a mass appeal product, then go to the Mfr and spec it out with slightly different things. Then sell it as a "house" brand. Costco

and Walmart have both done this for years and been quite good at it. In many cases the items are "De-speced" removing items that are really worthless but were added due to no cost or low cost and being able to add more perception of value. You know what I mean? When you buy a drill and it has a built in level, A flashlite in the head, and a bunch of specialty bits. You likely will never use 2/3 of the bits and the flashlite but it Sells better on the box!

By having a house brand, with similar specs a manufacturer can cut their liability in terms of warranty claims as the retailer covers that in most cases. The Mfr also avoids "direct" competition with yourself and problems with retailers wanting the same price as some other retailer. The retailer can sell the item cheaper than they can buy the original item in many cases.

Ever notice how some appliance retailers say they will match or beat prices on exact items? Many of these sellers offer store specific items so no other retailer will have them. They never have to price match on house brands.

Who wins in this increasingly common practice?

Retailer? Customer? Manufacturer? Chinese?

Ususally All of the above, but China is the big winner more often than not.

The customer gets a decent item, the retailer makes good profit and the Mfr sells more product without offending thier hard core brand loyal customer.

Guest Ernesto C

Do you guys know why every time I go to Walmart I go in on my hands and knees? ;)

Respect landowners property and always ask permission before hunting

Do you guys know why every time I go to Walmart I go in on my hands and knees? :D

Respect landowners property and always ask permission before hunting

Why? ;)

AZ4life I bet you would be a good story teller around a campfire ;) I under stand what you are saying. a few years back I bought a bore sighter from wal mart the bore adaptors were supposed to be metal of some sort but since it was sold at walmart they were plastic. that was about the last time I bought supplies there.

thanks for the information

Daniel

Story teller? Me ;)

I could bore the sox off people if they gave me half a chance.

Actually I do have fun with stuff like that. I am off to a company training session tomorrow for a few days of "show and tell". My team has a big production session to give for a couple hundred people. Should be fun. I get to "Ham it up" for an hour after 2-3 months of prep. Just hope I don't fall on my face. :D

As far as the retail manufacturer info, it is not any secret. It might make everyone smarter as a shopper knowing it though.

Vari X II can be repaired by dealers. The Rifleman can not.

Read into the Leupold manuals at Sportsman Warehouse you will see this.

Dan

As I understand it the rifleman scopes do NOT have the same coatings as the other models like the VX-ll. Other wise same glass, housings, ajustments.

;)