Sign in to follow this  
tooele

San Carlos Unit D east late

Have some friends with Tags on this hunt, anyone ever been Lucky enough to hunt this unit, any ideas on what to expect. They don't need a guide, so they are trying to do it thereselves, but you can't get into the unit until 3 days before the hunt. Should they shoot the first 90 inch buck they see?

T

Looks like not a single guy has been in this unit, kind of shocks me. I will let folks know how we do. Thanks for looking at the post anyway.

T

I have not ever hunted the unit myself, but have had friends that have. From what they have said there are some good deer around, but just like every where else they are not behind every bush. Sorry I could not help more.

I am almost positive that you have to have a guide in both D units and R-100 unit. Better check into that and make sure you don't need a guide. As far as deer go I would not shoot the first 90" buck I see by any means. You have some good potential of shooting a buck over 100" for sure. I have seen a few bucks in the 120's come out of there in recent years from some tribal members. I have never hunted unit D only B, C and R-100 but D east is pretty small compared to the other units and there are deer all over it. Just keep glassing and moving from point to point glassing non stop and if you put your time in you will have a good chance at killing a real good buck. If you are interested in a guide I have a few friends that are tribal guides that would help you out for a few bucks. Hope this helps.

you don't need a guide in d east,only if someone goes that doesn't have a deer tag. my two buddy's had tags there last year. they saw plenty of bucks just no big ones.one of them shot a 90" buck and the other guy never shot a deer.

I guess they did change it to only R-100 requires a guide. You will see a bunch of 70-80" bucks like was said in a previous post but the big boys are there and they usually won't come out to rut until it is in full swing or even toward the tail end. When the rut starts on the rez you will see all the little bucks chasing does around for 10 days to 2 weeks or so and when the does become receptive they will appear from out of no where. It is frustratiing when the little bucks are the only ones moving but just have patience and give it time they are there and they will show up. Two years ago I was hunting on the rez on opening weekend for three days in a pretty small area and never saw a buck over 90". I gave it 8 days and came back to hunt the same area and saw 5 bucks over 100" and ended up killing a 111" buck. They were there opening weekend they were just not moving. The second trip was a whole different ball game.