yes, a Ruger .270 in the mannlicher stock . I have had my eye on a Steyr Mannlicher on BP for awhile but the price is pretty steep for someone in the contracting business today.

Here is another 36b deer by tres Bellotes

post-682-1280459308_thumb.jpg

Tough unit to get a good hunt in, You are fighting the road "hunter's" so you need to drive/walk way back. The amount of illegals and the path's they take will push the deer out of "normal" patterns. The BP/Marines will have eyes on you also... Some Bow hunter's from PA that stay at same hotel as me during the dec/jan Bow season, tell me of massive groups of illegal's spooking deer, haveing BP personal phone number's on speed dial to report activity, and packing pistols... I and many other's stopped hunting that area because of the problems... Camping??? I'm nut's but not crazy... When active and retired police that grew-up in the area refuse to hunt/camp in an area I take note... Good luck, be safe, and just realy pay attention to your surrounding's... Sad commentary on a fine unit that has alot of different canyons, water and alot of game... NYAZ hunter??? dang another NY'er in the cat-claw... Welcome...

There are a lit of things going on down south but camping and hunting is still fine to do. You are so off in left field about not wanting to head to the unit. More power to you! Stay away, its terrible down there.

In the October hunt last year, arrived on Tuesday got set up and around 8 p.m. or so , saw lights coming up the draw . Pistol nearby and next thing said was "border patrol" , two young guys ,body armor,black uni's and whatever semi weapon is carried today stroll into our site. they had walked aprrox. 3 miles through canyon and wash to get where we were and had another 1 1/2 mile to get to a meeting point with the rest of their group. Have had awacs fly over , 'airwolf helicopters , multiple black SUV's , quads , BP vehicles come past our site . Never have seen a U A , lots of trash ,from the walkers. Have not felt unsafe , however , the 44 mag sleeps and eats with me . We hunt about midpoint between Arrivaca and Pena Blanca Lake .

Lots of deer there don't know how close you can get to the boarder any more.the closer you are to the boarder the beter. Tres belotas ranch. Have hunted that area last couple of years have gotten n seen very nice bucks come out of there. The market in arivaca has pictures and dates of deer that have been taken out of there if your prescouting the area you should check it out.

Thanks, will stop in and check out pictures, am going get down and do some scouting in next couple of weeks, will check outthat area you mentioned

Tres belotas ranch has got quite bad. There was a shoot out there about 6 months ago. I have also heard of some quads, and trucks getting messed with down there.

There's alot of very good hunting areas in 36b. I'm familiar with areas west of Pena Blanca lake like Sycamore canyon northeast of the Ruby road, Warsaw canyon south of Ruby, and the Blue wing mine area. Last October I seen a few really nice bucks taken out of drainages that flow west into Bellatos canyon. It has become a litter zone throughout most of 36b, and between the border patrol, and the walkers the deer are very very jumpy. Even the does are nervous as they run away now without even a snort, or a flat footed glance. I can agree with "oneshot" post too. It's such a shame that some of the most beautiful, remote, pristine country in our state is now a landfill for the disrespectful illegal immigrants! Good luck!

Left field??? The Arivaca area has a long history of illegal activeity, I and many other locals stopped hunting the area because of the problems... A hunt 12-15 years ago was going well untill I topped out on a peak to glass and felt I wasnt alone. I was met at gun point by US MARINES, doing what Marines do and do the best, recon, overwatch and radio...Recon Marines have been based out of Green valley for at least 15years... I dont think it's gotten any better, last year I took a ride around Arivaca to Pena Blanca lake and saw BP basecamps, buses' waiting to load "returnables", check-points at either end, etc.... If your comfortable being in the middle of a "war zone" as you deer hunt fine... Not for me Thank you...

I have seen all that and then some while hunting. Uneasy at times, yep, unsafe, well I carry a pistol around with me. Not go hunt in the area? never.... 1500 other hunters a year in 36b alone disagree with you. Stuff is happening down by the borders but the place has no reason to be abandon.

Thanks for info, will be aware as I scout and move thru area, is illegal trafic higher in winter, summer or does it stay constant year round, do you cable your AtV up be fore leaving it so its there when you get back or have there been many issues with that? I have always cabled my atv to a tree so that its tied wheree i left it-habit i got from my mules I guess. If its not tied down asume whatever left on atv may be gone when you get back

This is typically my unit every year, except this year I finally drew a 12A tag for Kaibab muley. Hre's my .02:

Find a buddy to hunt and camp with if possible. This should not be too hard with so many tags. And if no luck, consider crashing someone's camp or just camping near them. They'll understand you don't want to be out alone in that unit, and you'll make new friends and maybe learn about the area.

Have the BP numbers stored.

Carry a side arm.

Glass so you see whatever is out there first.

Have fun and good luck. There's a lot of good deer in 36B. Usually there are a lot of hunters, too. The deer run all over the place once the guns start going. There are a lot of places in this unit where there will be a concentration of hunters and you can be that guy who gets up early and sits on the pass, waiting for the bucks to run up. And they will.

Oh yeah-- and wear orange or at least carry it to put on if there are other hunters that come in to your area. There is some debate about this from those guys who are especially paranoid about drug runners. But I wear orange. I wish everyone would. I almost shot over a guy's head last year.

I always chain my quad to a tree. I would hate to come back and find it gone. I know it wont stop everyone, but it will help.

I've seen illegals carrying full backpacks and AK's, they must have been hunting too..

Good luck, the violence in Mexico is at an all time high in case you haven't heard, and someone is going to get killed by all the drug traffic spilling over into AZ.

"Carry a sidearm" on your deer hunt?

Wow, sounds like a good time..Too many good units 40 miles from the border to take a chance in 2010.

My first buck was in 36b off ruby road in 1995, but I wouldn't go back now...

Kill one with your bow and leave 36 for the thrill seekers.

The 36 units are great units for those that like a little added "adventure". If you are easily shaken or have a family of 6 to provide for, hunt somewhere else. I am more upset with the AZGFD for alloting so many dang tags in those units and keeping them shot down for the almighty dollar.