loco4coues

Hunting out of a blind

hello - never sat in a pop-up but i can't even count all the groundblinds I've built in the last 30 yrs. some are still around and will be used agin this year . I've gone into a tank at noon and dug out a spot - brushed it in and had turkeys - deer and elk all show-up and walk with-in 10-20 yrds of the front of blind - that same evening .

One of the main items some people may forget is which way the wind is blowing - in the evenings it usually blows the same way dday in and day out --just like hunting you need to be set-up down wind of the general direction from which you expect them to show - now I know thats not always possible - so while in the blind I crush the needles of the pine or the juniper or oak or sage and rub it around and on my camo's to help mask the scent -

it may be back a ways from a tank or on a fence line crossing or along a travel route - each hunting set-up is different - sometimes right in the berm of the tank !

have fun this season - let the little guys walk - drop the biggen's - hunt safe - gary

The wind seems like it is the toughest thing to deal with. Where I'm at it just seems to be all over the place. I do like the crushing the pine/juniper in it to mask your scent. Thx.

I shot my Couses out of my ground blind last year. There are many benefits to a blind..MAJOR one is movement. you can get up and stretch your back, legs arms what have you without disturbing the area. YOu have great scent containment in the newer scent blocker type windows with shoot thru options...

Let them get used to the new object early on, not to spook them on opening mornign when you want them to come in! HOWEVERRRR! this past april (Juniors turkey hunt) after I set up my blind & tree stands, deer cane & cameras for the coming season some worthless lower than whale crap on the bottom of the ocean decided to destroy the pop up blind and rip the camera from the tree!!! thats got to be the biggest down fall of an early set up of your gear :angry:

post-3570-1281570646_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have hunted ground blinds for years but never out of one of the new store bought ones. I use the natural cover that is around. I actually find it adds to my sense of accomplishment when I am successful knowing that I built the blind. The buck in my aviator was killed in the evening from a ground blind I had built late morning that same day.

When building a ground blind positioning it to be down wind of where the deer/elk or whatever are most likely to come in is key. As someone else stated if it is a pond/tank you are setting up on the tracks around the edge will give you that info. If its a convergence of multiple trails try and understand the direction of travel the animals will be headed at the time you plan to hunt it and position the blind accordingly. Remember wind direction changes in the warmer part of the day. Besides having good cover in front of you I think it is essential to have the blind built up behind you as well to breakup your outline. This will also help to conceal any movement you might make. Try and use something that is already there such as a fallen tree or brush thicket for the location of your blind. Animals are less wary of a simple change versus a great big bile of brush that has never been there before. Make sure you sit in your blind prior to hunting out of it the same way you will when you do hunt it. Draw your bow back in the direction of all your shooting lanes to be sure you don't bump something. Finally make sure you are comfortable! If you are not you will be figiting and shifting around making too much movement. I make use of a very low to the ground bench style seat. I like the idea of the blanket on the ground to help reduce noise. That makes good sense and I may try that this year. You would need to be sure it is as scent free as possible.

For you guys using the store bought blinds it definately makes sense to brush them. I would use the same principles as above in the location of the blind including utilizing something that is already there such as a fallen tree. I have been considering purchasing one but have a few questions. It does seem that it would help suppress some of your scent, have you found that to be the case? Also someone said "We had a coyote come in to drink at 20 yrds and he busted us because the canvas was shaking with the wind". This has been one of my concerns. All the blinds I have seen are built out of material that is fairly noisy when you shake it or scratch the side of it with something like a branch. Some are worse that others but I have yet to see one that was a "quiet" blind. Has spooking of deer or elk been a common problem for you guys/ladies that use them frequently?

Great thread by the way. Definately lots of good info here.

• Like 1

I have done it both ways, setting it up weeks ahead of time as well as setting it up the same morning. Last year I had pre-scouted and had multiple blinds up on very active trails. I sat those blinds for a week and never saw the bucks I had on camera. I put up a blind around noon where my 12 year old had seen some deer crossing a fence and he had shot opportunities later the same afternoon. Brushing it is is the key! Remember, some distance can be a good thing as the deer will catch even the slightest movement up close. And I swear, the big bucks do have a 6th sense. Be patient and put your time in and it can be successful!

And a good tip for all of you... I took a cheap small food processor (like a slap'n'chop) to camp. Put fresh pine and juniper in it with some water and slapped the heck out of it until it was a watery paste. I rub that onto my clothing as an additional cover scent and it worked great!

And a good tip for all of you... I took a cheap small food processor (like a slap'n'chop) to camp. Put fresh pine and juniper in it with some water and slapped the heck out of it until it was a watery paste. I rub that onto my clothing as an additional cover scent and it worked great!

Sounds like a great idea ! normally when scouting i cut a few pine or cedar limbs to put in a bag for clothes and wrap in my blind til i take into the area for hunting

I plan on setting mine (Eastman brand hub-style blind) up either the night before or morning of my hunt. Gotta give the deer some room when setting up blinds, tresstands, etc. Alot of people put their stands right on or above an active trail only to find out they stunk the area up enough that the deer won't use it anymore...

I've been hunting out of a pop-up blind for several years now, and have noticed that it's always best to set up a few weeks prior to the hunt to give the deer a chance to get accustomed to it. That's not to say that I haven't had deer walk right up to the blind the same day I set it up. I think it's a game of hit and miss, but for the most part, it's best to set up early, and brush-in well. All the rest is obvious (i.e. scent cover, etc).

I actually set up a natural blind this year in one spot as my blind somehow is missing some parts (ill just blame my wife....) I simply went to my spot (which is heavily wooded and set up on 5 heavily used deer trails that all intersect in one spot 20 yards in diameter) i looked around for fallen branches and bushes and took a length of parachute chord, tied it from one tree to another, and then covered it by leaning all of the brush against it. it is perfect. i have sat in it for the last couple of days and not spooked a single deer, at least 10 does have come in to 20 yards without noticing me, and this started on the very day i set it up. i am now a big fan of using the surrounding materials to set up a blind as there is no artificial material to alert deer of its presence. also, the more you put around you, the better it masks your scent (i however have the worlds most anal retentive scent blocking routine... so i dont think it much matters. lol)

I've been hunting out of a pop-up blind for several years now, and have noticed that it's always best to set up a few weeks prior to the hunt to give the deer a chance to get accustomed to it. That's not to say that I haven't had deer walk right up to the blind the same day I set it up. I think it's a game of hit and miss, but for the most part, it's best to set up early, and brush-in well. All the rest is obvious (i.e. scent cover, etc).

I have never hunted out of a ground blind! But I would like to buy pop up type. If you were going to buy one, what brand name and camo color would you get? For bowhunting Coues deer?

Thanks,

Ron L

I have never hunted out of a ground blind! But I would like to buy pop up type. If you were going to buy one, what brand name and camo color would you get? For bowhunting Coues deer?

Thanks,

Ron L

camo is not the important thing if you are going to brush it in. you are going to completely cover it with brush/branches. the best thing about a ground blind it allows you to move without being seen thus making your time in the blind more bearable for sitting all day. if it is black inside... wear black, I learned that the hard way. look for something durable material wise. just feel all the ones they have set up at bass pro or cabelas you'll know. I like the 360 double bull, although I do not own 1 for fear of theives. the windows are adjustable up and down for inclines and the material is super tough.

which ever one you chose make sure it is big enough. get inside and make sure you can draw a bow without slicing the walls with your broadheads. If you use mechanical broadheads you'll need to shoot with the widows open.

good luck!

James

I see I am joining this discussion a little late. In reviewing the postings I see a wealth of great advice and experience being expressed. Bottom line is this-ground blinds work for many reasons. They reduce scent, they minimize the effect of your movement-allowing animals to come in close and relax and they provide shade and shelter making ALL DAY sits possible. In an ideal world you would be able to set your blind in advance and let the animals acclimate to it-not any more on public land! Not only do you risk loosing your blind, you risk "showing your cards" to your fellow hunters. It is a shame that some people have lost the concept of "someone" else's spot! With this in mind you can overcome a lot of the "newness" factor by tucking your blind into a "thick" spot, brushing your blind in and using the afternoon sun to your advantage. To me the most important factor is location-if your set is hot and has plenty of action-you will find the discpline it takes to make the 12 hour sits it takes to take a trophy velvet coues buck with your bow. Duwane and I were 4 for 4 last week out of blinds with the bucks coming in at 114", 102", 87" and 85" (See the Duwane Adams Early 2012 Archery camp story for details and pictures).

• Like 1

Food for thought: Some blinds are great morning or evening blinds, some are good at both prime times and some blinds have all day action. Why-Location!!!! Duwane and I don't set up blinds with only prime action-how can you sit the 10 hours in between without loosing discpline? The reason these spots are only hot during the prime time-you're in their dining room. Go to their "bedroom" and you will have company all day!!!!

• Like 1

THe guys that started the Double Bull Blind co figure this 50/100 yard factor in brushing in or not to brush in.

1. if the deer will approach inside of 50 yards of the blind and not see it until then, brush it in.

2. if the deer will approach the blind like in an open area or field, farther than 50, say, 75 to 100 yards, there is no need to brush it in because they will not be startled by it.

Personally, like some others here, a set of knee pads or small stool, and a few yards of camo netting, a pair of pruner shears or saw, can make a fine blind and one can see all around and enjoy the surroundings and just blend in at any time and change locations really fast if the wind changes.