loco4coues

Hunting out of a blind

I was actually kind of wondering the same myself about hunting from a blind. I am going out this weekend and I am going to set up the morning of, but I wonder if that would possibly be bad because I may make too much noise. I also get concerned on drawing back to shoot... I wonder if the blind would get in the way. The only reason I am even using a blind is cause my boyfriend does not have enough patience to sit and wait for the big kill. :) Me on the other hand, can. :) So, anyone have any suggestions for me? I know I may be a girl, but I am going for the big kill and I will do whatever it takes to get that buck!!! :D

I have had deer and other game come in minutes after setting my blind, including javelina, bear , deer, elk, and turkey.

some like to add brush to it to make it look as natural as possible.... but if you have a good back drop that will help.

as far as shooting from it... set it up and shoot from it.

I sometimes take it to the range and set it up and shoot from it sitting in the chair I set in my blind.

shoot through the mesh so you have no doubts about it.

I do have problems seeing through the digital printed mesh in certain lighting condition (low light)

if you want it open than wear all black (assuming yours is black inside) to help conceal any movement.

take your noisy snacks out of their wrappers before and put them into a much quieter ziplock you'll be glad you did!

after setting it up give it a good spray down with scent killer of choice

hope this helps!

James

• Like 2

well, thanks James. I appreciate the advice.... I didn't know if anyone else was going to reply to this forum... I am nervous about going out there and setting up the morning of, but I work mon-fri 8-5, so I have no other time to get anything done... I guess if I don't get anything here in January I always have August... But I am seeing WAY more deer in the colder month for sure... But I am takin my mom out to sit with me Saturday and hopefully all goes well... I guess I need to focus on covering my blind with brush and stuff... I am going to be up on a ridge, so hopefully I can conceal it pretty well.... As far as shooting from the blind, I am going to set it up at home and try to see how it goes. :) thanks! wish me luck!

good luck!

take a small camp saw and some pruners.

be sure to post up your monster buck pics!

James

Heck! I sure hope this weekend I have some pics to post.... As long as a lion don't get me. lol. And yeah, thoes are some good things to bring up there.... I hope my mom can handle the hike! We are supposed to get some snow, I hope that helps Saturday when I go out. I plan on getting there about 0530, maybe 0600 to start setting up and hopefully have one walking through. I have seen the same group of coues for 4 days in a row, same time, same place, so it has got to be money. I just hope the rut picks up a little more so they get loopy. I have been reading on some other posts and I sort of got a little discouraged after reading that not too many people kill out with a bow on coues deer.... So, IDK, hopefully my patience and strong will and stubborness will get me there. I HAVE to kill a bigger buck than my boyfriend. It is a MUST!!! lol. But thanks again, and I hope I will have pics to post of my kill... If not, maybe just pics that I take. I am in area 27 and have been seeing some MONSTERS out there this last week, so fingers crossed the rut picks up!!

Well, I wasn't able to get my blind set up because of the cold temps.... :( But, we are going back at it this weekend... Supposed to be good weather and maybe some rain, but hopefully some good hunting. and pics to post!!!!

/>

I have had great luck setting them up the night before...

Had some Dirtbag rip off my wife's blind in January.. it was up for a day and a half... sucks knowing who it was and not able to prove it... mad.gif

I had the same problem last year. My blind and 2 cameras were ripped off on Sunday of the last weekend of the season. I would like to come across somebody stealing gear from anybody... They deserve an arrow in the back!

You guys that put out your pop-up blind prior to the hunt ever have problems with bears messing with then?

I hunted with a guy who setup the same morning he shot a deer. There are allot of variables that go into this. If you have done enough pre-season scouting you should be okay to set up a day or two ahead of time if you have the time. Scent control is probably the main thing. In addition, location is important. You dont want to block a trail or stand out. if you dont want to or dont have time to brush your blind make sure you arent sky linned. Make sure you have some trees or brush behind you to help out. The guy I hunted with literally set his blind up 2 hrs before light, sprayed it down and the first deer to the water hole was a buck and he smoked it (this hunt I am talking about was not duting the rut). I understand that this is not typical but setting up near a food source or water always increases the chances. Some people dont like to sit water during the rut becasue even though the does will drink the bucks I have seen never really come in to drink in the day light hours. Again this has been my experience.

Tried to set up my blind a few weeks early but as luck would have it some dirt bags stole my blind! I had it all tied down and staked as well. When I went back to check on it and my camera someone had cut the lines. This makes me furious. As hunters we should learn to respect each others stuff. If I was in your spot too bad I got there first. I always check for other blinds and cameras so I don't encroach on others territories. As far as I'm concerned these thieves rank right up there with people that would steal from their mothers. On another note look for my post labeled "Unit 22 thieves". Got a nice pic of some redneck and his lady with their ugly dog stealing my camera. These morons cut down a tree to steal my camera. I had it lag bolted to a tree as well as a security box around it and then alligator locked. These idiots couldn't leave well enough alone and didn't check for other cameras in the area and I got them. Let me know if you recognize these punks. If you know them get the word out that I would like my stuff back. If I don't get it back I am going to plaster the Payson area with there picks so everyone can see what upstanding citizens they are.

I have looked at water holes that had cameras on them but I was respectful and didn't touch other peoples gear nor walk all over their site but these great people took the time to cut down a tree to STEAL. I guess they were home schooled and didn't learn what public land meant.

A friend and I set up trail cameras 4 weeks before the opener near a water hole, then 2weeks later when we saw the activity on the cameras we set up the blind and set up cover around it. Come opening day we were in the blind at 4:30am, but I didn’t shoot my Coues until 7:15 at sunset. Long day, but I got a great Coues and I’m very happy With the results. 

93068140-C41A-469D-82FD-A1050A6B90FA.jpeg

• Like 2

I don't know if anyone has said this yet but I was told if you are setting up a blind on a tank or water source submerge the blind in the water before setting it up so it helps with scent control 

I have three days worth of video, (about 8 gigs) with Coues deer in it before I finally took my biggest buck. My blind was put up Sunday morning and only took it down after I killed him, I didn't brush it in either.

• Like 3