Sign in to follow this  
coues krazy

first or second week

If you could only get one week off to hunt archery elk would you hunt the first or second week. I hate the thought of not being in the woods opening day but the season opens early this year. Just wondering what you all would do. :unsure:

In 2005 I took off the first week. I don't think I would do that again.

If it were me, and I only had 5 days I could take off, I'd take off opening day through Monday (2 days), and then take off the last 4 days of the hunt, Mon-Thurs, going back Friday if needed. Granted, that Thursday would only be a half to three quarter day hunt probably, but that way you could hunt the first 4 days, and then the last 6 days (Sat-Thurs). For me it would be optimal because I get pretty wore out after 4-5 days. That would break things up some.

If you can't break the time up like that or can only go for one trip, it'd be tough, but I think I'd lean towards the 2nd week. The thought of missing that first weekend would be very tough.

Ron

Last year the hunt started almost a week later than this year. It was dry and hot and the elk were not doing much the 1st week. Around the 21st of Sept, they started sounding off but it was still weak and they would shut up right at dawn. They were pounding water though.

With this years hunt starting early, I would sit water every evening. In the mornings you can still call them in, but they might come in silently. The bulls are looking for cows, even if they are not bugling. I think it's easier to call them in before they get a herd of cows rounded up too.

DB hit the nail on the head. Even though there is a bunch more bugling and rutting activity the second week, once the big bulls are cowed up, it is tough to call them away. I will do exactly what Ron is suggesting except I live and work where my tag is so I will schedule patients from 10-3 and hunt mornings and evenings, during the first full week.

I would also take the 2nd week. More bugles means being able to locate them easier and if stalking is one of your strong points, getting in on a herd bull is not as tough as some think if you do it right. Plus, if the "frenzy period" is late like it usually is, you have a chance to experience one of the most amazing things a hunter can experience.

Mike

If you are willing to shoot any reasonable bull, the second week is fine, if you have a big one picked out, you better go the first day and stick with it or someone else will shoot him. Just saying...

I'll take the first week while the bulls are still trying get their cows herded up and they are hitting the water every evening like clockwork.

Just because they are not screaming does not mean they are not out cruising for chicks.

back when i was a real bowhunter whenever i got a bow tag i would always hunt the first 3 days, go back to work and then take off the last 7 days. seemed to work pretty good that way. after the 2nd sunday most hunters went home and i had the woods to myself and the rut was more intense. a lot of folks say the rut is later than it used to be but i think it has actually sorta stretched out some. the rut seems to last a little longer, but not be as intense as it would be at times. moon seems to have a lot to do with it. moon has a lot do do with everything. it moves the ocean, so it can do other stuff too. but don't listen to all the stuff about weather to hot, to dry, to wet, to cold. it's all b.s. the elk are still there. just because they don't do what you think they should ain't no reason to gripe. you have a tag, the elk are whistling, it's a good time to be alive and in the woods. you have to adapt to what the elk are doing. my boy had a tag last year. elk weren't whistlin' too much. it was rainin' a lot. things just didn't seem right. so he shot a 375 inch 7x7 on the 3rd day and we went home. hunt hard and the other stuff takes care of itself. the elk are always there. just go get em. good luck. Lark.

As far as the rut goes it would be better to wait for the second week. However, living here in the White Mountains I have seen just as many monster bulls taking in the first week as in the last. It all boils down to you doing your home work, hunting hard and being persistant. If you find that bull you are looking for it is better to get on him as soon as possible rather than waiting and having some one bump him in to the next county! Or worse, in to their pick-up bed!!! :o :o

The last week of the bow hunt is almost always better than the first, IMO. If I couldn't take off the whole hunt, I'd rather be out there the few days of the season than the first.

back when i was a real bowhunter whenever i got a bow tag i would always hunt the first 3 days, go back to work and then take off the last 7 days. seemed to work pretty good that way. after the 2nd sunday most hunters went home and i had the woods to myself and the rut was more intense. a lot of folks say the rut is later than it used to be but i think it has actually sorta stretched out some. the rut seems to last a little longer, but not be as intense as it would be at times. moon seems to have a lot to do with it. moon has a lot do do with everything. it moves the ocean, so it can do other stuff too. but don't listen to all the stuff about weather to hot, to dry, to wet, to cold. it's all b.s. the elk are still there. just because they don't do what you think they should ain't no reason to gripe. you have a tag, the elk are whistling, it's a good time to be alive and in the woods. you have to adapt to what the elk are doing. my boy had a tag last year. elk weren't whistlin' too much. it was rainin' a lot. things just didn't seem right. so he shot a 375 inch 7x7 on the 3rd day and we went home. hunt hard and the other stuff takes care of itself. the elk are always there. just go get em. good luck. Lark.

Everything Lark says is true except I don't think most guys go home now like they used to. A bull elk tag during the rut is become so glamorous that most guys stick around most of the hunt- maybe taking off a day here and there. Last year there really wasn't much of a rut. That is evidenced by far fewer calves than I normally see. I have no explanation or even guesses as to why it happened. Two years ago, I had a tag in unit 10. I hunted a couple of days in unit 9 during my hunt (my buddy had a tag) and talked to a few hunters. EVERY elk that I saw dead and every elk that someone told me about was killed on water. Not one guy out of about 10 dead bulls I saw successfully called one in and killed it! In 10, we called in quite a few that we could have killed, a few that were missed and a few that weren't big enough. That wasn't the case for us in 9. Different areas call for different strategies- you can hunt water anytime.

I am going to try and get the whole season off, but if I cant I will go the first three days, then return the following friday for the rest of the season. I will be worthless at work anyway thinking of hunting the whole time. Only seven weeks to go!