Sign in to follow this  
gotta hunt 1

Unit 2A in AZ mule deer hunt

I'm looking for info. on unit 2 A,B & C.in AZ B) Wondering if its a good unit and hunting areas available for non res. I drew the tag as my second choice, Also looking for outfitter Info & Input

There are not very many deer there. I have seen some giant bucks over the years but never during hunting season. Overall sucess is super low and most of the bucks are killed by locals who are able to watch them and scout all year long, Overall I would say for a nonresident that hunt sucks unless you can come a month early and scout the heck out of it or if you are OK with shooting one of the spikes or 2 pointers that stays along the multiple parks and Wildlife areas along the Little Colorado.

Bret M.

I'm looking for info. on unit 2 A,B&C. Wondering if its a good unit and hunting areas available for non res.

Do you have a tag or are you considering hunting it in the future ?

My father-in-law lives in Springerville and has taken some monsters out of those areas. I agree that the area has gotten harder to hunt in recent years, but there are still bucks in there worth going after. BTW, make sure you have your predator call when you scout. Coyotes are too plentiful!

contact jordan jensen at ultimate outfitters out of springerville. i might be up in that area then and know of some decent areas. PM me.

I shot a monster muley in 1993 behind coronado generating station east along the railroad tracks out of st johns bullwidgeon is right not alot of deer but with persistence the hunt can reward u with a monster buck mine scored just under 200 inches spot and stalk believe it or not i got him glassin for feet under the juniper and cedar trees eatin berries ,and the big bucks just do a circle pattern all day long so walk slow and glasss,glass,glasss,and glass somemore their there,good luck,another good way is to go in on hoorse back easy ridin and just bust em out of the juniper jungle but be ready for a quick shot i have seen some hat racks in there

Get a hold of Lance with Timberland Outfitters. He's a sponsor of the site and grew up in the heart of giant MD country in those units. I've spent a fair amount of time in St. Johns and like everyone says, the locals or those who know what they're doing are typically the ones taking the true monster bucks.... Good luck!

i was born and raised in SJ as well. just get behind the coronado powerplant and glass your butt off. walk washes and find tracks...or just hire a guide.