I was asked a question today that I never thought of in this way. We were discussing hunting and other related topics when I was asked whether I was an environmentalist, I said no freaking way, then I was asked, are you sure, don't you take care of the environment, I said that I probably had more respect and took better care of the environment than any of the wackos that claim to. Then it was brought up did we give the term environmentalist to a group of wackos that don't deserve that title, or is it self proclaimed and thus makes it a bad thing. I said that no matter how you look at it hunters and fisherman take better care of the environment and the wildlife than any self proclaimed environmentalist.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this, are we all environmentalist, we are just hunters, fisherman, and outdoorsman too.

I would consider my self one. I am just not an extremest.

Guest Ernesto C

Yes believe it or not we are becaue we respect the enviroment and not only we enjoy the outdoors,we also have a duty to protect and improve the wildlife populations and the enviroment they need to survive in.

When we go dove hunting,dont we pick up our empty shells and sometimes not only ours but others too? Dont we pick up all the trash from our camp grouds when we go hunting? Dont we volunteer out time and effort to the "trahs pick ups" on the southern units? etc etc etc. Yes ......in a way we are.

Ernesto C

Treat the enviroment and others people propety like if they were your own back yard

Never thought about it before now.

Guess we are :blink:

i ain't and i'll slap the heck outta anyone that accuses me of it. i'm a conservationsit and true student of the woods. but i believe in the truth and "environmentalists" don't. and TR was a conservationist. don't sully reputation of a good man by throwing him the same cesspool with them wierdos. Lark.

I tell ya what. Those granola rollin, stinkin, messy haired, teva wearin, irrational ludacrous hippies are up to no good. They base their efforts to save the earth on emotional biases that have absolutely no scientific proof. As a matter of fact, most of them are after $$$ so they can buy up state lands and lock it up and post it "no hunting". They sue BLM, forest circus, etc for supposed environmental impacts and use the endangered species act as leverage. They do not understand the concept of common sense and conservation. It makes me sick every time I think about what they believe and what they get away with in the court system. Anyway, I think we can all agree we are all conservationists here on the forum. A conservationist uses resources but at the same time finds ways to create a sustainable resource and or minimizes the impact. An environmentalist says it can't be used, killed or disturbed...period. Like Lark said, it is unfortunate that the extremists were able to adopt the name environmentalist for themselves. They should be referred to as the whiny little stinky long-haired tree-huggers.

Good point, and as an example, I am listing a few of the categories the AGFD was taking nominations for awards.

----------------

YOUTH ENVIRONMENTALIST OF THE YEAR

Any individual, 18 years of age or younger, who has excelled in efforts to benefit wildlife and the mission of the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

CONSERVATION ORGANIZATION OF THE YEAR

Any organization, group, foundation, or agency that has excelled in efforts to enhance the welfare of wildlife, wildlife related recreation, and the mission of the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

CONSERVATIONIST OF THE YEAR

Any individual who through a professional agency affiliation has excelled in efforts to enhance, conserve, and manage wildlife or their habitats.

ENVIRONMENTALIST OF THE YEAR

Any individual, who on their own personal time, has excelled in efforts to promote, enhance or benefit wildlife and the mission of the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

I first saw these categories and bout flipped! :( Sort of like Lark! Then I thought about it and supposed again it is the wackos have sullied the good name of conservationists and environmentalists.

"They should be referred to as the whiny little stinky long-haired tree-huggers."

I agree, but the minute most of them get off their soap box they jump in their hummer/SUV and drive home to their million/ multi million dollar houses and figure out ways to screw people out of more money and even if they don't they are still whiny little stinky long-haired tree huggers.