Sign in to follow this  
ScottAdams

Coues Head Silhouette

I've got a son in metal shop this year and I would like for him to cut me out a nice coues rack silhouette with their plasma cutter. Anyone have a nice coues rack silhouette that would work for this?

Scott

Hey that would be cool.

Just tell him to make it a sectional project. I have seen way too many projects messed up in welding when they try to do it with one cut. I think I might have to try my hand at that too. :P

Are you thinking of using a real rack and making a shadow with a light to trace an outline? Typical or nontypical? Full rack or side view of one side? How big of a metal sil when finished?

RR

tell him use his imagination and make it all gnarly. is he gonna use one with an electric eye or cut it by hand? i used to be a welder of some fame. like about the best in the world. sorta like i am now with huntin', fishin', shootin' and fightin'. oh yeah, in good looks too. one time i got a little bored and got me some pipe and made an elk rack. it's about a 900 bull. 7x7 with about 85" main beams and and a 7' spread. when i moved i gave it to a friend o' mine. if you're ever toolin' about in springerville take the road that goes behind becker's bulk plant and go south. go about a quarter mile or so and on the right, it's layin' in his front yard. Lark.

I was hoping to find someone who already had one, but I might do the shadow deal. I'm not sure what angle to use, I guess it would depend on the rack's configuration. It would be the full head, lifesize.

Scott

I remember that elk rack that Lark made. The cool thing about it was that the curves of all the tines and the ratios of mass and length of the tines looked perfect it was just 2-3 times bigger than lifesize. Gotta admit, you did a nice job on that. Seems like that thing would always be on one of the floats for the RV homecoming parade.

Scott, I have a real cool picture I printed off the internet a couple years ago. I think it was from a "big bucks" website. Anyway, I haven't been able to find the pic again and it is a really cool picture. I carry it with me in my wallet. It is of a big mature typical 3 point with some ocotillo stalks coming up in front of his neck and face. I will make a photo copy of it and send it to you if you want. At a minimum the outline could be traced and you could decide if you wanted to use it or not. Let me know. CB