Sign in to follow this  
elkhunter

Rain gauge info

I remember several years ago a member posted a website where we can look up information on how much rainfall certain areas has gotten. I can't remember the company but I think it was a federal website. I've tried to find it on the internet and couldnt pull anything out of it. Anyone know what I am talking about? It's similar to USGS water flow website but instead for rainfall.

I was gonna say that the dude with a redneck on a whitetail deer shooting rockets knows of this website but I couldn't remember your name, just your old avatar picture, thanks for the link, preciate it

Seeing this thread got me thinking. I assume that a lot of people on here have rain gauges on there property and keep track after a storm. What if there was a thread for us to post our general location with our totals and the date of the storm. Just an idea. Let me know what you think.

So for instance

07/18/15 1.2". Mingus Mnt SE of Cottonwood

• Like 1

I think it's a great idea. Rain, snow, temperature, thunderstorms and any phenomenon that can affect hunting and travel like fog, ice, etc.

• Like 1

Seeing this thread got me thinking. I assume that a lot of people on here have rain gauges on there property and keep track after a storm. What if there was a thread for us to post our general location with our totals and the date of the storm. Just an idea. Let me know what you think.

So for instance

07/18/15 1.2". Mingus Mnt SE of Cottonwood

That rainlog website seems to be just that - individuals posting their info to a site. Maybe spread the word to the coueswhitetail folks and have them post their info there? Keep us from reinventing the wheel.

• Like 2

I think this is a good idea. What I'd like to see is a separate room for weather reports here at Coues. In the room. there would be threads defined by hunting district. Therefor, a person would post their info in to the thread of the hunt unit in which their data was derived. The topic/title of the original post would define the exact area for data.

Say a person draws a tag for an area, a person would be able to learn a lot about that unit by looking at weather reports for that unit. I think it could be a popular attraction of this sight. It should be the efforts of this forum to have the information needed here and not re-direct people away from this sight to somewhere else.

wheel-invention.jpg?1330731999

• Like 1

Sharing this data among each other is a great idea...but if you're looking for the most comprehensive data for a region then the National Climate Data Center from NOAA is the best place (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/)

Granted, you will have to work a little to figure out how to get what you want but you can get daily, monthly, annual averages or individual points to do your own graphs/analyses. I have used this data for research on several occasions.

If we want to start sharing data among members, those of you all that have rain gauges, start an Excel spreadsheet and record the date, time, rainfall amounts, etc... and if we get enough data to get something going, I WOULD BE WILLING TO TRY TO COMPILE IT and share it on this forum.

If you have data, send it to me as an excel attachment to a PM and I'll see what I can get started.

I wonder if there is anyway we could have a spreadsheet that anyone could get on and enter data into so long as the data are standardized....

• Like 1

Sharing this data among each other is a great idea...but if you're looking for the most comprehensive data for a region then the National Climate Data Center from NOAA is the best place (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/)

Granted, you will have to work a little to figure out how to get what you want but you can get daily, monthly, annual averages or individual points to do your own graphs/analyses. I have used this data for research on several occasions.

If we want to start sharing data among members, those of you all that have rain gauges, start an Excel spreadsheet and record the date, time, rainfall amounts, etc... and if we get enough data to get something going, I WOULD BE WILLING TO TRY TO COMPILE IT and share it on this forum.

If you have data, send it to me as an excel attachment to a PM and I'll see what I can get started.

I wonder if there is anyway we could have a spreadsheet that anyone could get on and enter data into so long as the data are standardized....

Like I was saying,there are weather related phenomenons that can affect hunts and travel than rain amounts.

As far as data collection goes, look at standardized forms like the aws form 13 for collecting wx data or nws surface obs.

post-11051-0-83211100-1437670218_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You compile and maintain the database and I'd be willing to turn it into a precipitation Google Earth layers and/or other maps.

Conceptually, it's quite easy IMO. Hundreds of ways to do it I'm sure, without researching, a couple come to mind.

1 - Use a open source document management system (so it's free - http://www.opendocman.com/) where the source data (spreadsheet) can be "checked out" by one individual, they add to it, and "check in" their modifications. One consideration, everyone would need the same software such as MS Word to access it.

2 - Google has been coming out with new features in Google Docs. https://www.google.com/forms/about/

You could make a form that writes to a google spreadsheet and go from there. There are also customization forms Adobe makes that can do the same thing.

This would be quite the commitment for all involved but there is no doubt it could work and be beneficial to CWT members.

• Like 2