Stray Horse

Tell us about your elk rifle, and cartridge?

Thompson Pro Hunter II, 300 win mag with a Kodiak Precision muzzle brake. It has a Nikon Monarch 5.5X16.5X44 zeroed on it. It shoots beautiful groups with Hornady Heavy Magnum 180 grain rounds.

• Like 1

308 Norma Mag built on an '03 Springfield. Custom Fajen Varmiter stock with a 3 x 9 Weaver Widefield. 79 1/2 gr H 4831 pushing a 165 gr Nosler Partition.

*Tikka .270 win

*Zeiss Conquest with rapid z 600 recticle and sun shade

*Harris 9-13 in bipod with pod lock

*Karsten adjustable cheek peice

* 130 grain barnes ttsx with 54.5 gr of h4350

* 0.6 inch group at 100 yds

Depends on the range to the elk-- I got my poking stick, good inside three feet; my Winchester Model 37 in 20 gauge, which has 4 Maine bucks over 200# to its credit; my dad's (and his dad's, and his dad's, and. . .) old Winchester in .38-55, which was mfd. in 1897 and has killed hundreds of deer, a few of them even legal; and my Ruger #1 in .30-06 with a 2-7 Leupold on it. Can't decide which of these to take this year! ;)

post-4980-1288815440.jpg

• Like 1

Savage .338 Win Mag.....Wow its cool. Stock trigger and limbsaver is nice. Only 500 or so dollars. Not a long shooter, but packs the punch to take em down no matter where they get hit.

Elk rifles:

Weatherby mkV .300 weatherby mag, weaver grand slam 6-20x, 175gr bergers loaded to 3278 fps. 6x6 elk 412 yards.

Browning A-bolt .338 win mag, pentax 4-12x, 210gr nosler part.

Ruger M77 MKII stainless .30-06 4-16x weaver, 165gr nosler part.

Used an '06, 300WM, 264WM, and a smokepole...

The lowly 260 Remington has smacked more elk than all the rest combined.

Shoot 'em where they live and they will die. Shoot them anywhere else and you're gonna lose 'em. ;)

I've only shot one elk with a rifle, and it was a .270 my dad built way back when he was a teenager. Kinda funny, he bought all the components from Herter's way back in the day and built the rifle from scratch, and did all his own reloading. I think it's a Mauser action or BSA, beautiful gun - looks like a Weatherby. For him, going out and shooting blackbirds off of cattails on an Oklahoma dirt farm cow tank from rediculous ranges was just a hobby. He had no intentions to shoot game at long range because most deer where he grew up were shot inside 100 yards. Somehow he built a true sub MOA rifle for around 150 bucks (1950 dollars) including the scope. I shot my first coues with that rifle, and while it doesn't look like a long range set-up, that is the most accurate gun I've ever seen, even with its outdated optics.

My boys shot elk this year with .270 WSM and .300 WSM, shooting barnes bullets and both looked like you had stuck a hand grendade in their vitals and pulled the pin. Ok, maybe a slight exaggeration, but when an elk drops flat in it's tracks like it was struck by lightening, you get the picture. There was no tracking job, no looking for a blood trail, they both collapsed like rag dolls. I'm a huge fan of the WSM in either 270 or 300. Great unbelted "Magnum" cartridges that knock the living bejeezus out of whatever they hit with a good bullet, like a barnes XT, or Nosler Accubond.

Got a new rig together a Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 w/tan and black spiderweb stock shooting 165 grain barnes TTSX bullets 3/4"@ 100 yards.

TC Encore 209 x 50

Leupold 3.5-10x50 B&C ill ret

.45 300 gr bonded shockwave bullets

100 gr 777 powder

• Like 2

I use my biggest, most powerful rifle I own. 7MM RUM with a 160 Grain Accubond and Retumbo powder. Shoots 3,350 fps and is a tack driver. It started as a remington XCR. I had the trigger worked on a new Bell & Carlson medallist stock. I sent it off and had the whole thing cerakoted. I got leupold bases and rings (medium). I topped it off with a Leupold mark 4 (4.5X14X40mm with AO)and a 24" barrel. It is all black and I think it looks great.

post-539-0-97495400-1301896536_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I shoot a Lazzeroni Patriot (.308 short mag) made by Savage with a Vortex 6.5X20 Viper scope. But this year I am shooting a Hoyt Rampage XT.