Stray Horse

Tell us about your elk rifle, and cartridge?

My dad isn't able to hunt anymore due to his back, so I commandeered his Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Weatherby that sits in the safe. It is to abusive on recoil for fun shooting, so I dropped it off at Axisworks last week. In a few weeks it will be sporting a new muzzle brake, and when I get it back it's old Simmons 44 Mag scope is getting upgraded to a Burris Veracity 3x15x50 FFP scope. I already started brass prep, and hopefully Berger sends me the load data for the 185gr Classic hunters and 210gr HVLD on Monday that I emailed them about. 

This elk season this 300 weatherby may get the opportunity to put a second cow elk on its record. My dad used it about 20 years ago to take his one and only cow elk in unit 8. 

My CZ 550 with full Mannlicher style stock in 6.5x55 got it done for me this year. 

My best buddy used his Howa 1500 in 6.5x55, and got it done too. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

My CZ 550 with full Mannlicher style stock in 6.5x55 got it done for me this year. 

that is one sexy rifle.  nice wood, full stock, CZ fit & finish.  not going to be able to relish my vittles 'till there is one in the safe.

lee

• Like 3

On 2/4/2020 at 8:10 PM, Roosevelt Mark said:

How did it go?

Not like I had hoped. The bullet blew up on the shoulder blade on a close shot. With the big .338's we have had the best luck with barns so I guess I will go to the 270gr barnes for my next hunt. 

10 minutes ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

Not like I had hoped. The bullet blew up on the shoulder blade on a close shot. With the big .338's we have had the best luck with barns so I guess I will go to the 270gr barnes for my next hunt. 

Why did you use such a soft bullet out of that monstrosity?

5 hours ago, 50Caliber said:

I hunt in MT. for elk/deer/moose use a weatherby 300 mag and a 338 that is my weatherby waiting for a new scope to come in Monday

20200503_151755.jpg

20200503_151827.jpg

oh my.  weatherby magnum rifles built on commercial m98 actions.  those two dogs will hunt.

sure does for a rifle made in 1955 took bear/moose/caribou in Alaska. deer/elk/moose in MT. and game up to eland in Africa. Has a 4 digit serial number matching on barrel and action plus all the proper markings 

• Like 2

Man this was a fun thread to go back through and revisit!!  My only two elk so far are cows, one that fell to my bow and then most recently in 2019 a CO muzzleloader hunt with a CVA Accura MR.

I'm still building points in quite a few states as well as some lotto and other draw hunts so I should have a rifle tag in my pocket in the near future. As such I built my 'elk gun' early and then tried it out on Wyoming mule deer this season. 

338RUM- Currently shooting 250 LRXs and have 250 Bergers and 270 ELDX loaded up for testing.

Borden Timberline Titanium (Wyatts cut- 3.825)

Proof 24" 1-9.4

Ryan Pierce 5 port Ti Brake

Manners EH4 w/ short front rail and 2 QDs

TT Special Flat

Murphy Ti Rail

TPS Super Low 30mm Rings

Razor AMG 6-24x50

Total Weight is 9.5lbs

AE6F138D-CEA8-4A4B-AFD3-A63F16A18CDB.jpeg

2E485E9B-D50E-4290-BC7E-A52BB8C94C86.jpeg

• Like 1