Sign in to follow this  
DCMHunter

Left Over tags

My brother-in-law and I picked up a couple of the 30B Nov whitetail tags. Does anyone have any information on this unit? Can the dragoon Mtn be accessed threw the cochise stronghold?

I live in the white mountains and will only have limited chances of scouting. I can trade information for unit 1 or 27 if you need.

We can do horse trips and are not afraid to camp out.

I guess the first thing would be is there any water holes we can start looking at?

DCM

What the heck I have been trying for two days now to find out if I got drawn or not. When I talked to the lady today she told me to call back everyday until they know. I think that must mean that I didn't get drawn again. What do you think?

Briant

It sounds like you didn't get a tag. I called on Monday evening and was told the end of the week. I called back on Tuesday evening at 4:45 and the lady I spoke to was very nice and i gave her my sons and my sportsman ID and she looked them up for me. I was drawn along with my brother-in-law from WI for the 30B Whitetail hunt. My son did not get a tag. I my sign my tag over to him but he already has a unit 1 Nov. Bull tag. My in-law grew up in Wilcox but has not been in the area for 20+ years. He said depending on the population and houseing changes he thinks he can find a few places. We are thinking about riding horse back into the dragoons but need to get the scupe on water holes. Horses have a hard time without water. If I can find some good water it will be a pack triplike my 2007 Dec hunt.

Does any one have any information on some good water holes back off the beaten bath?

Again I can trade information for unit 1 or 27. PM me with some atrea's to start looking at.

I have a good Arizona map program that give some spings but the last time I tried to plan a trip with it we could not find the springs and had a horse start cramping on us from no water. I can pack evough for me but not the horses.

Thanks

DCM

A few years ago I got a left over tag in 30b. Just hunt hard and glass alot, even more so in this unit. The deer are very skiddish. I think it's because of mtn. lions, there was quite a bit of mtn. lion scat when I was hunting. I did see a couple of bucks. I hunted the area off the FR 345 and FR 687. Alot of the area is very steep. Mary and Henry canyon are good areas. Also, Black Diamond Peak and the west side of the Cochise stronghold. If you would like more info, just leave me a message.

30b has some deer november hunt shouldn't be to bad as long as you find them. thats the key. hunted there 4 years in a row 2003-2007. the dragoons are good just small mountain range and you'll find most of the hunters south of the stronghold. last time i check there is no hunting in the stronghold. where i hunted most of the time is off of middle march road (that come off yale street out of pearce). I've seen 2 bucks come out of there a dinky dude and nice 3x3 both shot by my buddy back to back years. I have also seen one of the largest bucks i'd ever seen in arizona the last year i got a tag in the unit. My advice would be scout off the middlemarch road. And on your hunt i would hike in your camp so you make sure your the first person out in the field to shoot that buck friday mourning.

speaking of water holes there's not a lot (where i hunted). but azgfd have put up some catchment things.