hempland

New to bowhunting

Never bowhunted before, This will be the first time I have tried unit 24b. Any tips or advise would be appreciated!

no more deer left in 24b

too hot, too much catclaw :P :lol:

really though, the game and fish regulations book give great starting points for all units.

james

Yeah I looked @ azgf info and have look around those areas but no deer sign anywhere.

this early in the season it's important to be at your glassing spot before sun comes up.

way easier to catch em' moving and watch where they bed than to pick them out of there bed.

although that is my brother inlaws specialty.

glass the yellow grass on hillsides/ fingers and bowls

james

Thanks for the advice, the area is very different compared to 36b I normally rifle hunt.

keep looking

there is some really nice spots!

you should have most of that unit to yourself in the early archery hunt.

james

I've killed deer w/ my bow in that unit the last two years & had a chance to make it three this Jan, but let a little guy walk. As already stated, glass, glass, glass... then when you're butt's too sore to sit any longer, spend about 5 minutes stretching, then plop ur rear down & start glassing some more.

Tip #2, if you don't like crowds, get away from the roads (especially on the south end of the unite between Superior & Gonzalez pass), but if you can deal w/ the crowds, you can see some nice ones w/out too much hiking..... if you glass enough.

Tip #3, the two I killed were at 50 yards & 78 yards, so make sure you have a good range finder that's easy/quick to use & practice your 40+ shots like crazy. Forget you even have a 20 & 30 yard pin.

I was kind of expecting long shots. But 78 yard seems far I'm Gona need more practice then. I use a nikon range finder it hasn't failed me yet. Thanks for your tips

I know that's why I need sum more practice I'm very comfortable out to 50 yard. but i feel skechey @ longer than that distance!

Unless your pulling back 75 lbs or more it's dumb to take a shot over 60 yards. PRACTICE, and use your range finder AFTER a mental guesstimate in order to get more accurate at determining yardage, because you don't always have the time to range your deer.

Unless your pulling back 75 lbs or more it's dumb to take a shot over 60 yards. PRACTICE, and use your range finder AFTER a mental guesstimate in order to get more accurate at determining yardage, because you don't always have the time to range your deer.

Making blanket statements on the internet based on your opinions rather than facts is dumb. I shoot 68lbs. & get great penentration out to 80 yards. Probably wouldn't shoot that far at a big animal like an elk that has thick hide & heavy bones, but on small deer, like coues, there's no reason not to except for the obvious reason: you simply can't hit the mark.

The topic of long archery shots is probably one of the more highly debated on the internet. Bottom line, in my opinion, is if you can hit the target at 100 yards, then your arrow will do the job once it gets there. Ethical/ unethical, smart/dumb, all depends on the situation (wind, animals' level of alertness, visibility, etc.), skill level of the shooter & the confidence level the shooter has at that moment. If you're sure you can make the shot, then I say take it & live with the results, good or bad. If you think you'll probably miss, but take it anyway just so you can say you had a shot, that's probably a poor decision.

You lose when you stop trying, the deer wins. Spot and stalk archery coues is no small task. You will mess up a lot of stalks, well not necessarily mess up, but the deer will win. It takes a lot of perseverance to sneak in and arrow a coues buck. Dont stop trying, it will eventually all come together. Spot and stalk archery coues is on my list, and still on the list of many skilled hunters I know.