muledeerarea33?

long long distance shooting

I was talking to a guy the other day at a gunstore here in town he was buying brass to reload 308 shells. he was saying it is accurate at roughly 1000 yards (dont know his exact setup) but wondering how possible that really is? thats about 3/4 of a mile if my math is right. whats the longest shot any of you guys have ever taken with accurcy?

I believe the .308 was and still might be used in 1000yd match shoots.

I'm sure he wasn't talking about taking 1000yd shots on game.

As far as accurracy at a 1000yds whats accurate. If I could hit a 50gal. barrel at a 1000yds I'd be thrilled.

As far as longest shots with acurracy, 3 shots at 500yds, 6 inch group.

As for a hunting, I've never had to take a shot over 300yds. In 32 years of hunting I've never had to or been in a situation where I could not get closer.

I beleive he was talking target shooting. with my terrible eyesight I am only good for about 2-300 yards. glass bedded my 30-06 last week and dropped my groups from 5 inches to just 3 inches at 200 yards I am very happy with that

308 Is a sniper round also.

The benchrest guys shoot 1000 yard tournaments all the time so it is possible. I am sure they use .308's just because they are either brainwashed my our military (God bless them, but alot of these guys will argue up and down with you that Steiner binos are the best binos ever made, there is no better pack than the crappy old Vietnam era ALICE packs, and there are no other bolt action guns than Remingtons) or are big sissies and do not like recoil. If they were not such big sissies or brainwashed and knew how much .300 Weatherby's and even RUMS or STW's devastate things at long range they could probably shoot 2000 or even 3000 yard tounaments :P . Heck, Lark regularly dumps spike mulie bucks on the run at 1000 yards and he uses a puny .270 Winchester :D . The longest shot I ever took and made was on a broadside bull elk at 639 yards. The first bullet chingered it but it took off in that wounded stagger/trot that bulls sometimes do after being hit. It made it 50 yards or so while I launched 3 more slugs at it and missed all of them, and then it bedded up and died. I wouldn't have taken the shot if I hadn't shot 20 long range (400-600 yard) feral goats and countless coyotes, rocks, targets and rabbits that Summer and Spring with that gun/scope/load set up. It also took me a long time to set up for the shot. It seemed like almost 10 minutes to make sure I had my breathing, rest and target positioned exactly where I felt comfortable enough to shoot. I know all this now because my uncle videod it all. The three misses on the run were all very close, 2 of them missing by inches rather than feet and the only reason I kept shooting at it on the run is because I knew I had a bullet in it from shot #1 and was trying to anchor him. Anyways, I haven't been shooting as much with that setup this year as I did that year and would be awful hesitant to take a shot over 450 this year. In the end it's all about practice and knowing your capabilities and your equipments capabilities.

Bret M.

.300 Weatherby/4.5-14x42 Burris scope with a Ballistic Plex reticle. I had the power set to 14x for that shot. I was shooting off my tripod with my shoulder/back braced up against my backpack that was braced up against a juniper stump. You can not have any movement in the rifle at all at long range, you need as much a benchrest like atmosphere as possible for those ultra long shots. Alot of long distance guys like bipods and prone postition. I do not like prone and never feel comfortable shooting that way, and I am not carrying around a bipod on my rifle when I have a tripod with me all the time that works the same but if anything is more stable. If you are going to shoot at game off a tripod practice in field conditions shooting targets off one before you try it. When I go to practice shoot I always shoot at least 1 or 2 groups off my tripod like I would in the field, and sometimes only shoot off my tripod. It helps when setting up for what may be an important shot in the future. I assume the same goes for the guys who rock the bipod/prone method too.

Bret M.

the longest i have ever target shot at was what do you think doug 325-350? as far as on game, my first shots were 341, then had to be over 400 after that, i hit him 5/7 times, and 3 shots were on the run and i missed one of them. i know i hit him 2/3 times because he rolled once, and fell over dead the 2nd. i have been shooting alot this year, and have worked up some good hand loads so i would not hesitate at 500 or so ( + -) with a solid set up and a stationary target.

the longest i have ever target shot at was what do you think doug 325-350? as far as on game, my first shots were 341, then had to be over 400 after that, i hit him 5/7 times, and 3 shots were on the run and i missed one of them. i know i hit him 2/3 times because he rolled once, and fell over dead the 2nd. i have been shooting alot this year, and have worked up some good hand loads so i would not hesitate at 500 or so ( + -) with a solid set up and a stationary target.

Casey,

You should shoot targets that are farther than 350yds to build confidence in longer shots on game and to know where your rifle is hitting at those ranges. :P

I would say most my coues shots are over 350 yards. I like long shots and would not think twice about shots out to 500 yards if given the time to get a rest and shoot. The last mullie buck I shot was just at 500 yards with my 25-06. One shot to the neck. I will say I was aiming for his shoulder so I do not know what went wrong on that one.

I have been out to three points where a group of guys shoots 1000 yard targets once a month. They have the 50 cal. catagory and the smaller caliber catagories. Those guys were shooting 30 cal. lazzeronis and 30-378's, not 308's.

I was with a friend of mine hit his deer last year dead nuts where he aimed at 525 yards. He also took one the year before that at 725 yards. It was so far away that his bushnell 800 range finder wouldn't pick it up. He had to find something closer to spot a range. He got a rock at 682 yards and estemated ted the deer 50 yards beyond that. He nailed it. Just keep in mind that this individual is obsessed with rifle shooting and shoots them at least once a week if not more. Then practices on rabbits. He uses his ballistics program to create a trajectory chart to use with the range finder.

It's no fun shootin' em long distance. there's no sport in that.where's the hunt. oh, let me see, he's at 550 yards thru the rangefinder so that means 8 clicks up and aim 2 inches to the right. give me the good ol days when people actually got in close and took there game. I've taken more deer at less than 100 yds than any other distances. My 2 biggest deer were shot at 60 and 75 yds. thats when its fun, finding an animal,sneaking up close and making a good shot. :P

wade

Mike, i really wish i could shoot far like 500 yards but have now where to do it at. or atleast where i know i can go. if i can hit a 6" circle at 400 yards i am happy with that. now that i think about it, i shot my 30-06 at 300 yards with a laying down rest. the group i produced was about 2.5 inches. not bad for a 30-06 with a 16 y/o shootin (this was a few years ago) also took out a jack rabbit that day from about 315 yards.

wade, i agree with you, get me within 300 and its lights out. but the thing is, i also want something to take home for my efforts. if i have a buck i want to shoot at 300 yards, or any distance i know i can make with a good rest no wind and him standing not moving,what is the point of trying to sneak up for a closer shot? i am not going to let a good chance slip through my hands just because i want to get close, that is what archery and muzzleloader hunting is for. i carry a high power rifle, with a high dollar scope and hour upon hours of hand tuning loads and shooting them at the range so i can make those long shots if need be.

You guys make good points.

Wade, I agree, I like to get as close as I can, It's part of the hunt :P

Casey, I also agree with you. I have a custom built 7mmstw that is pushing a hand loaded 160gr bullet at 3400fps. It was built just for those long cross canyon shots and with practice and hours at the loading bench it will shoot a .325" group at 100yds. It gives me the confidence to make long shots on game.

That said, I still have not taken a shot on a big game animal at over 300yds, haven't had to. :D