muledeerarea33?

long long distance shooting

Set your .06 with a 190gr. bullet 22" high at 25 at 25 yards and that should put you on the paper at 1000 yards. The military also uses .30-06 for snipers and .300 win mags.

I am not looking to shoot 1000 yards meters or whatever that is just to dang far. heck I cant even see through my scope at 500 yards much less 1000. I will stick to my max of 300 for now till I get my eyes fixed or pratice a little more but long distance shooting is not in my future any time soon

Guest Ernesto C

muledeer.....I also trust my 36-06 and if I want to use a .308.........I just have to ask my wife to let me borrow hers :P She will be after mule deer in November....her 308 already has a buck on its credit.

Good and happy hunting everyone.

Aim for the vitals

I have THE BEST OF THE WEST video and it is amazing to watch. You can tell this guy has shot a ton of rounds to became so good at shooting at long ranges. The scope on his gun I am sure must cost over $1500.00, but it is bad***. I started using a Burris scope a couple years ago with the ballistic plex and I have had no problem shooting clay pigeons at 300 yards with my .243. The crazy thing is I am using a $220.00 dollar NEF single shot rifle to achieve this. I also have a Browning A-bolt in .300 win mag that reload bullits for that I am very confident with at 400 yards. I practice with these guns quite often during the year. It is no problem for me to shoot 50 rounds each through them during every session. If you want to shoot long range at a live animal, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Happy shooting, David.

Hunterdude, can you tell me what to set a .243 for at 25 yard so that I would be on the paper at 1000 yards? I think I will be shooting Hornady BTSP 100 grain. I know that I have got to get the range and practice some long distance shooting. I will be down in 36C in Dec. Appreciate the help.

Thanks

The problem with videos like that is that they convince people like CNE ELK that their .243 is capable of killing a deer at 1000 yards. I'm guessing that CNE ELK hasn't any clue that the rifles in that videos are producing 15 times more energy than his .243. I'm not nocking the .243, I love that gun, just the mentality! Don't take it personally CNE ELK, just realize those guys are shooting very specialize equipment, not off the shelf rifles chambered in .243. Keep your shots under 400 yards and that .243 is deadly, past that and your 100 bullet doesn't hit hard enough in my opinion! Please respect these deer enough to kill them humanely.

Not trying to be the ethics police, but get real!

Kevin

I killed a carp at 565 yards a few years ago with a 300 Win Mag. I laser ranged him, and then dialed in my scope. I missed the first shot due to wind, but then compensated and got him on the second shot. After the kill, my buddy and spoter guided me over to him with a radio, otherwise I never would have found him. Before the hunt, I had practiced out to 800 yards and ballistically mapped my bullet out to 1000 yards. Had I not done that, I would have never atempted the shot.

bowsniper

Kevin,

Nothing taken personally. Just wanted the info. I do know that my .243 is best out to no farther than 350+, not 1000 yards. Never would have thought about taking a deer with a .243 out past 400 yards. Part of the hunt is the ethical taking of the animal within the limits of my shooting skills. If my Dec. Couse is at a 1000 yards, then I need to bust my back side to get closer. I appreciate your comments and promise to use a little common sense in my hunt.

CNE ELK,

Good to hear, maybe I misinterpreted your initial post. Good luck on your hunt, it ought to be a dandy!

Kevin

I think I will pass. I wonder how many animals they wounded with those long range shooting that didn't make the video. I believe when you look closely with the 1000+ yard shot they brag about so much you can see it only wounded the coyote. I know some of the shots are pretty amazing but in my mind pretty unethical. I guess to each their own.

Though I have passed on several deer further out than 500 yards it was not due to the fact that I couldn't make the shot, I just tried to get closer, if you can do it great, if you can't don't, and if you have to think about it too much you are probably talking yourself into a bad decision. Now with all that being said I would take the shot at a coyote as opposed to trying to sneak up on it wihout a call.

Guest Reynaldo de la Torre
Each and one of us should know our own limitations..............What is ok for some maybe not ok for others.I will be one of the guys that say "no" to a 500 yard shot with a 243 at a deer. If I'm target practicing well.........yea maybe just to see where I'll hit.

If you know your gun well,if you know you can hit a deer at 350,400 or more yards,if you feel confident that you can make that shot,go for it!

I will do that only as the last resort,like the last day the last hour.....maybe.

I personally will not shot over 450 yards,why? cause if I try I will be guessing and I'm not sure if I can hit that deer..........I will need to pratice,practice and pratice more if I want to make a 500 yard or more shot.

I wont hesitate taking taking a 450 yard shot with my trusty and legendary Remington 700 in 30-06 caliber.

A couple of years ago while antelope hunting in Wyoming I was truly blessed by the Lord with two antelope in a row.There were two antelope at 400 plus yards,I got on a prone position using my bipod and drop the first one,the other one run about 10 yards or so and stop...........aim for that one too,shot and drop like a ton of bricks.Thank you God. :)

Like I said.....know your rifle and know what you are capable to do.Good and happy hunting everyone.....God bless.

Ernesto C

Unload guns when not in use

That is exactly what I mean. That long shot was my longest attempt. I would rather leave that deer alone and try again - like I do often. But that was out in the open and the wind was calm - and I had a spotter. But I would never recommend a shot that far with a 243.