Sign in to follow this  
jbeee

Hunting for info (no pun) for Unit 32 access

Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to AZ and managed to draw with a group of guys for Unit 32. I know that G&F states that this unit access is heavily restricted. I'd like to scout in the Galiuro Wilderness and am looking for the best access to the wilderness boundry. Ideally, a passable vehicle trail that will get me as close to Redfield Canyon area as I can get. We plan on packing in from where vehicles are restricted and the hunt will be conducted on foot. Would anyone here have that kind of info or know of a place I can find it?

Thanks! And good luck to everyone out there! Hunt safe and hunt hard!

JB

Jbeee if you want my advise I would think about another spot or get some horses. Don't get me wrong there are some nice deer in there but it is some of the roughest country in the state. I grew up at the base of the Galiuros and spent a lot of time in our lease. On the north side u can get to powers base camp with a good 4x4 and then its about 10 miles to the powers cabin which is good area but like I said before rough. Then if u do get something getting it out on foot would be a nightmare. Here is a decent map.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/forest/re...ges/GALIURO.jpg

There's a road that will take you to the south end of Redfield canyon and to the border of the wilderness but it does look like rough hiking. I have a 32 tag as well and have been trying to find some spots. If you go south on San Pedro River Rd it forks left to Casabel Rd and if you follow that 5 miles down theres a dirt road to the left that is unmarked. That road will take you right to Redfield canyon

On the north side u can get to powers base camp with a good 4x4 and then its about 10 miles to the powers cabin which is good area but like I said before rough. Then if u do get something getting it out on foot would be a nightmare. Here is a decent map.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/forest/re...ges/GALIURO.jpg

You can not drive to the "Powers base camp" otherwise known as Powers garden. It is in the middle of the wilderness and if you are caught driving in there, you just might have to pack your truck out in pieces on your back. You can only drive to the trail-head at the south end of rattlesnake mesa.

Thanks everyone.

I also called the Safford Ranger District and the nice lady there gave me some ideas. Yes, I understand it's rough country, but after my Unit 23 hunt last year and running into hunters in the most remore spots, we thought we'd try something a little rougher and tougher. You don't know if ya don't go, right?