jlhcoues

Unit 28 Bull

post-556-1127701255.jpgThought I would share a set of antlers my son found in unit 28. He found this bull along side of another dead bull in 2004 while scouting for his archery elk hunt. The bull grossed 418 unofficial by our local taxidermist.

That is HUGE :(

Great find! Bet it was a bugger to haul out, but well worth it!

Wow, what a monster :o

Did it look like the bulls killed each other fighting?

Who's that ugly guy holding the rack. Nice, I hope to be by soon and see it up close. As soon as all of my South America trips are over. I'll bring you a bottle of wine from Chile.

Spooker

Who's that ugly guy holding the rack.? Nice, I hope to be by soon and see it up close.? As soon as all of my South America trips are over.? I'll bring you a bottle of wine from Chile.

Spooker

Spooker, just got back off a unit 1 hunt, caleed in some great bulls for my hunter he just couldnt get it together to get his bow drawn. When you get back give me a holler.

where was that found? I am gonna guess up by black jack somewhere

We found this bull in the Gila Mountains just about 20 minutes from my house on the diamond bar ranch. There were 2 bulls dead , the other one was just a 300 bull. I dont think they had been fighting. We have seen several bulls in this area that have been wounded. I think what happens is that they are coming down in this basin off of the San Carlos to die..

Great bull

Do you think that they could have been struck by lightning?

Man thats one nice rack there your son picked up! seen a lot of the elk along the southeastern border of the rez that share the same characteristics of that bull, not too much on mass but man they have some long and wild points! the area your son found those skulls is the same area where Mr. Agnew took his 454 a few years ago, we've filmed a lot of elk in that same area too that are very impressive, starting to look really good along there these days, anyway thought i would post a pic of a nice 6x6 that was killed in the same area as well, he's not much on mass but pretty good on tines with 63" main beams, he's the bull on the right in the pic.

and one more thing, i think you're right about the elk wandering off the higher elevations to die, seen a lot of sick or wounded elk along the border too, hanging out by themselves down a little lower than the rest of the bulls, i bet if you do some good walking back up in there you can find some more nice racks.

r1007cb.jpg

DAN

WOW! I have never seen a 6th point so looonngg! 454! I though you were talking about the motor in that Ford, I was gonna say that it must have a 460!

:P

Apache7mm-- Thanks for the reply. We have seen several bulls that are poor or hurt along this area of the res border. They our some monster bulls along this strecth of the unit 28 and res line. The bull we found has a main beam of 58 inches and a base circumfrence of 10 inches..... By the way Ive hunted the san carlos for the last 7 years for coues deer, what a great hunt. People treat me great, see tons of quality bucks and no other hunters, its fantastic for the price. Ive hunted Mexico for a whole lot more money and it wasnt as good as hunt.

jlhcopues :rolleyes:

jlhcoues, hey i'm glad you've had some good experiences hunting the coues on the rez, man there are some giants in all the units all over the place, lots of hidden pockets no one ever hunts, once the season comes around they just disappear! haha, thats how it goes i guess, me and a couple of my cousins are trying to score on a nice NT 5x4 with some killer mass but he keeps dodging us, see if we can't get him this year, going to try for some big muleys opening weekend though, the herd of elk along the rez line and Unit 28 just keeps growing and growing, hopefully soon enough there'll be a ton of them in there and just be all over the place, its a nice low land place for them to hang out i think, all in them pinons and canyons, well you should get back up in there again sometimes with your son and take some pictures of them bulls, don't forget the packframe for them racks!

DAN