Sign in to follow this  
peckl1

Tucson Gunsmith

I was out Saturday trying to sight in my 30.06. The bolt is now stuck. I would like to fix it myself, but I think it would probably br wiser to take it to someone. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith in Tucson?

Thanks in advance

Lee

Give Murphys Guns a call and see if they are taking any more guns right now, they are about the best in Tucson but they are always pretty busy this time of year...Hope this helps ya out :huh:

One more thing I forgot to mention, Mr. Murphy himself is a coues fanatic :huh: His store has all kinds of BIG racks hangin on the walls, and he also has a purdy good pack of hounds from what I hear, which prolly explains all the lion a hangin as well.

Keith, I have to admit I don't know. I got it from my brother in law. It was his dad's gun. He told me he thought it was military issue. It has a number stamped on the side and 30.06 stamped on the barrel. It also has a scope. But that is all I know. Except when I shoot it I hit what I aim at.

Lee

If you aren't sure definately take it to a gunsmith, there was a problem with a pin in the savage bolt that was a pretty simple repair. Good Luck and God Bless.

Peckl1

You mentioned that the rifle is from the father of your brother-in-law and that the rifle may be military. I'm wondering if the rifle might be a 03A3 Springfield. At the rear of the bolt is a lever that can be moved from left to center (up) to right and has something to do with either the operation of the bolt or safety, I can't remember, just my quess. Did the bolt lock up right after firing (stuck case) or after someone fooled around with the bolt or safety? Anyway, try flipping the lever, if there is one. I might release the bolt and save you a trip to the gunsmith.

Bill

edit.

After a search, is this of any help?

http://www.surplusrifle.com/03a3/operations.asp

The last picture in the operation section?

Hey thanks for all the info. Bill after your post I went to that site and found out about cases sticking. I played around with it and freed up the bolt. It seems to be working ok now. I am going out to scout today. I will be staying out over night in 36a. I hope to sight the rifle in and make sure it works in the field. My hunt is for CARP in November. After the season I will go to Murphy's and see if they can tell me more about the rifle.

Lee

From your description that was my best guess, glad it was helpful. I've seen many Mule deer off the north end of the Las Guijas Mountains. Chuck at Murphy's should be able to fill you in on the Springfield. Good Luck on your hunt.

Bill

Well I got back from scouting in 36a. There is a lot of Carp running around the flats. I had to laugh at finding some pink tape marking part of a trail. It looked as if the guy was marking the start of a trail that a good sized buck made. Large tracks and a nice size pile of droppings. The reason I laugh is there were probably at least 9 different trails running though the same area. I have walked this area a lot in the last 4 years and have found some good size sheds. My brother took a nice 4x4 out of there 2 years ago. It is just a good area. I hope this fool comes back and removes the tape after the season. However, I think it will be me removing the tape after the season.

Oh, what started this thread, my rifle is still a little sticky but is getting better. Cleaning the rifle again tonight.

Lee Peck