Sign in to follow this  
coues-n-it

hand gun & scope suggestions

Looking into a handgun for hunting purposes in the .44 mag. or stronger caliber. my biggest problem is small hands. I've tried large frame Smith&Wesson revolvers and I can't get a good grip & very unstable to shoot . Any suggestions from gun types to barrel length to calibers to scopes would be deeply appreciated. I've looked at a Ruger super blackhawk "bisley" does anybody have one? and do you like it? thanks for any help.

I had a .44 mag and did not like it at all. It had way to much kick to enjoy shooting it. I had the Ruger Vaquero with a 7in barrel. The blackhawk should be fine for hunting. The Bisley just has a little more hook to the handle. I would think the .357 would be plenty for anything here in AZ. Make sure you get something with a rubber handle to help with recoil. If you want something that has some good penetration and knockdown power, then take a look at the .45 long colt. I have seen testing with this caliber that performed better than the .357 and .44 magnum. David

Have you looked at the Thompson Contenders? Every once in awhile I start looking at them, but then I make myself stop because I already have too many "hobbies".

The best thing about them is that you buy the frame, usually for $200-$300 and then you have a whole bunch of different caliber/barrel combinations to use with it if you want. You can get anything from a .22lr to 45/70 and even the new WSM's and just switch barrels. You can buy the barrels on ebay and gunbroker.com without a FFL.

A couple of times I was all ready to buy one with both .223 and and .308 barrels. One for yotes, fox, Javelina/ jackrabbits,etc and the other for deer / Elk. I still want one, but so far I have resisted the urge.

If was to get a revolver for hunting, it most likely be the Ruger. They have a couple of different models with intergral scope rings that are speciically set up for handgun hunting. .41 Rem mag or 45LC are a little easier on the hands.