Sign in to follow this  
kidso

Does Distance Give Any Safety?

For those of you who have had game cameras stolen, how far away from a road were they located? I'm curious to know if most are stolen within a short hike hike from a road or a long hike from a road? I think this could provide us with some interesting data. Please post your data in average minutes it would take to hike to your stolen camera. I wonder if placing cameras further from roads provide greater safety or not from thieves?

The only cam i've had stolen was the furtherst i've ever put out. Minimum of 2 hours round trip hike. It was out for 7 months or so on a solar rig. I've for cams as close as 100 yds to 2 trackers.

It doesn't matter how far you walk in to put up a camera there's always the posiblity that someone could find it especially if it is on water. I don't put cameras on water anymore at all. I put a camera on water one time and I don't have that camera anymore. I look for heavy travel areas such as saddles that I can get critters moving to and from water. I have cameras out there that are anywhere from 1/8 of a mile from the road to 1 1/2 from a road it really doesn't matter. I build lock boxes for all my cameras but I put them out knowing that I may never see them again.

I hope this helps someone from getting a camera stolen it is not a good feeling.

I think the time of the year is the biggest thing to getting them stolen! I can put them up close to a road in May, June and July down south with no problem (only will take 1 getting stolen to change my mind though)! I put them up in hard to get to places Aug-Jan!

i haven't had one stolen. but would figure if someone would really want to they look around water holes and draws for game trails.

I plan on having cam only 1-2 weeks in one spot then move it

the one i had stolen was on water and close won't do that again i think the next one i put up will have a low jack on it.

I'll tell you what, over the weekend I think I tripped three or four different cameras up where we were staying. None of them more than sixty yards from a road. I'm curious to see if anyone here owns those cameras and gets my goofy butt on the web. :lol: Trying to move as quickly and as quietly as possible, then *click* and the wrring noise of the film being wound. :huh: :o :lol: I should be a jerk and go get a monkey suit and CWT shirt and go hunting for cameras from now on to get my picture taken.

When I put my cameras out they were a good distance from the roads and water. None of mine got stolen thankfully, but I did get plenty of people walking by them.