KaibabHunter

Tough Hunt

Sep 14 morning: well because the elk we know about shifted somewhat we decided t glass again from or normal and only good glass point in the area. Glassed up our 7 bulls again close to ther usual morning area. Our hill doesn't give a great view south or east so but I was determined to try and turn

Something up. Located 2 cows a long ways off and that's it. Our bull that was buglin near camp sounded off 1 time finally at about 8:40 suns up and starting to blaze already. We move towards him and when we're close let out a locater bugle hoping form 1 more response with no luck. We're still hunting a bit thru the pinyonsmbut it feels a little pointless so I think we'll bAck out. We did find their tracks and it looks like a small heard - could b my herd bull for all we know.

So here's my dilemma: I've found a few elk in an area but not a lot of cows to go around or come into heat to kick this rut off. I'll kick myself if I don't sit that tank at least 1 more time but I'm ready for a change in scenery and hopefully more elk to go after. I scouted

a spot farther north but is the same type of terrain the 7-9th And located a few small herds with a couple decent bulls. I have to pull out on the 20th. Should I move and hope for better action? I know I can find elk in a couple other spots. I don't think it would b any worse but it could b better. Heading back to the truck now - look forward to ur thoughts.

Your mental state is important. If you are not fully commited to your current area you will be thinking about all those great places you should be. I don't think it would be a bad idea to take a day and half and check out the other areas. Sometimes magic will happen and the rutt might be in full swing and it might be better in a different area. Likewise If it is the same ole same ole in the other spots then you could fully commit to your area. Sounds like there is two nice bulls you would like to shoot. right? In addition since it is the rutt another monster could show up at any time. Basicly after determining the best spot to hunt. I would plan on running and gunning bugles when they are making noise and sitting water all other times. Do you have a pop up blind? I basically have a mini spike camp inside my blind with ice chest, food, reading material and carpet (for extreme hunting with my eye's closed). Most important thing is you are suppose to be having fun. Also I would start lowering my standards 3 days before the 20 th,Sometimes you have to accept the hunt for what it is. It does not always happen like the videos.

Good luck,

Bob

Your mental state is important. If you are not fully commited to your current area you will be thinking about all those great places you should be. I don't think it would be a bad idea to take a day and half and check out the other areas. Sometimes magic will happen and the rutt might be in full swing and it might be better in a different area. Likewise If it is the same ole same ole in the other spots then you could fully commit to your area. Sounds like there is two nice bulls you would like to shoot. right? In addition since it is the rutt another monster could show up at any time. Basicly after determining the best spot to hunt. I would plan on running and gunning bugles when they are making noise and sitting water all other times. Do you have a pop up blind? I basically have a mini spike camp inside my blind with ice chest, food, reading material and carpet (for extreme hunting with my eye's closed). Most important thing is you are suppose to be having fun. Also I would start lowering my standards 3 days before the 20 th,Sometimes you have to accept the hunt for what it is. It does not always happen like the videos.

Good luck,

Bob

I too would sit water till last light. Don't give up on it yet, supposed to be real warm next few days. Good Luck

If you're not being hassled by other hunters on your water tank then hunt it every day from 2pm thru dark. That's what I would do but I'm mostly a meat hunter so what do I know. :)

TJ

If you're not being hassled by other hunters on your water tank then hunt it every day from 2pm thru dark. That's what I would do but I'm mostly a meat hunter so what do I know. :)

TJ

Meat hunter or horn hunter, from all the info you have given this is the best advice. I would stick to your guns and keep sitting that tank. Good things will happen eventually. I did this on my hunt last year when the rut was non existent. Every day around 1 or 2 I was in my blind waiting. Nearly every single day the elk would not come in until right before dark. One day, though, I had elk come in all afternoon and evening. You just never know what they are going to do.

Good luck man. You will get him.

Sep 14 evening: well we stayed in the same area and sat the tank from noon till dark. 2 couse does came in and last light and I mean last light an elk showed up at 100 yards. There was only one spot at 27 yards that he would have to cross for me to have a shot-anything past 35 yards was too dark. Well he was movin to it but stopped and must have winded us cause he wheeled and took off.

I really appreciate everyones comments about stickin to the tank. I'm pretty sure at some I could get an arrow in the air if I did. But I have to drop my dad off in Pine after the morning hunt. We're gonna shift to new country just to try and show him what an AZ archery bull tag can be like. Figured this area could use a day or 2's rest anyway. We're the only ones in here wich is nice but a buddy with the same tag was having similar results as me shifted and says their buglin mornings and evenings.

Noisy bulls is way more fun to hunt then thirsty bulls. Even if there is more hunters that is where i would go. Keep at it.Looking forward to seeing your picture next to an animal. Its almost like I have a tag.

thanks,

Bob

Where we were hunting all week, the elk were watering after dark. Cameras confirmed this. It's more fun to chase them than to wait for them but you do what works. If your elk are watering during legals shooting hours, then sitting water is a good bet. It is going to continue to get hotter as the week goes on- can only improve. No cool weather or storms before end of season in forecast.

Similar experience for me in 6A this weekend..... Love the comment about noisy bulls vs. thirsty bulls! lol

Hoping for the noisy kind later in the hunt! ;)

S.

:)

Sep 15 morning: well I guess 7 days of straight hard hunting (3 days deer/bear, 4 elk) caught up to me- slept thru the dang alarm! So instead of making it to our new spot

Before 1st light we loaded op camp drove about 6 miles picked a random road and headed in. Immediately found tons of fresh tracks. After gettin a little ways from the truck I let out a locator bugle and had 2 bulls answer! The chase was on and we closed to the last

150 yards but the thermals were shifting and they moved out- no visual. Heard 3 bulls total and 1 had a small herd. We didn't get into the trees until 7 and heard our last bugle at 9:30. Now it's startin to feel like an elk hunt!

I love this play by play! Keep it coming! I personally chase in the morning and sit water in the afternoons till dark. You doing this on your Blackberry or you have your laptop and Verizon card?

As a matter of fact, I'm sitting about 20 yards from a water hole in a valley where I had 3 bulls bugling this morning. I'm not a technology whiz but I do have my blackberry with me answering some work emails. Makes me less guilty about taking 2 weeks off. I'm in 6A N and its way too hot! And 2 jackasses just rode their ATVs through this meadow!!!

Sep 15 evening: if u like the play by play I think your gonna like this one! (I'm posting from my iPhone when I can get service)

So I dropped my dad of earlier today in Pine so he could head to phx for a couple days to visit family. I went back to the exact same spot we were at this morning washed up sprayed down and headed out about noon. Not even a 100 yards from the truck I hear a bugle. The winds all swirly so I just keep heading to a heavily used trail I found this morning. In this spot u can't walk 20 yards without cutting a fresh track! I make my way over setup my cow decoy and settle in for the afternoon. Every 1/2 hour or so I hear the same high pitched bull bugle. At about 5 the thermals start shifting in my favor so I break down and start on hi general direction thinking he will probably feed downhill since this morning they were all heading uphill to bed. I get near the top and

find a a thick and nasty steep draw. There are at least

4 fresh heavily used trails comng in and out of it - the bedding area! I start thinking this where I'll be in the morning when I hear the same

bull bugle and another one farther down. In start sprayin some cow in heat love juice

cause the wind is wrong for the bull down low.I let out a bugle and no response.

Still not sure how call shy these elk are in decide still hunt back to the truck. After awhile the high pitched bull bugles and he's under a 1/4 mile! Having not called in a single elk yet i decide to runnto him. I run a couple hundre yards and he bugles - still1/4 mile out. I tAke off again he bugles a quarter mile out. DAng he's obviously moving away from me. We do it again 1 more time somi really take off. His next bugle is above me 200 yards - finally caught up!

I start sneekin in glassin ahead and see nothin. Finallyi catch movement but the bull sounds farther up. I hear cow calls and think please don't be another hunter. I keep goin and almost run into a spike feeding at 70 yards on my left. He turns and feeds away - I keep going. Then I spot a rack - a small 6 pt and I get ready. The spike gets a little nervous making the bull nervous and they move away from me. I catch movement on my right about 40 yards - a cow feeding. The bull has been buglin off and on this whole time! I figure he'll follow the cows so I inch up to a shooting lane just to her left. As I get there and not quit in place big body shows up just

Left of the shooting lane - it's a bull and bigger than the other 6 pt. I range him at 43 yards! I inch left to get in the lane - he turns and looks my way-I freeze. He looks back at the cow and let's out a chuckle. I inch left-still not in position. He steps forward out of the lane - take my last step left. He does an about face back into the lane and stops broadside fAcing left. As he did this I drew. I settle in the 40 yard pin just a tad high just left of the crease and touch off! It all tookmabout 2 seconds but I'm positive I watched my arrow disappear 1/2 way up and in the crease! He bolts and I'm cow call. The shot was at 6:45 pm with about 20 minutes of light left. I mark where I stood and where hee was. I'm absolutely pumped! I shed my gear and scan form blood and my arrow- nothing....nothing then a speck! I mark it and try to stay calm. 10 minutes later I find my arrow broken 12'inches above the broadhead a d covered in blood! 2'feet away the blood get a lot better! I go back to my gear and start makin calls and texts. I decide to give him an hour. Then I hear elk down the wAy he went. I decide to give him 2 hours. I check my gps thinking my truck should be close as I thought I crossed the road I drove in on. To my surprise the gps says the truck is 174 ft away!!! I decide not to Ginger for fear of spooking him if he's still not down. I lost my last bull in 2006 and do not want that to happen again. I'm sitting

here in the dark 174 ft from my truck waiting for the second hour to pass before starting the trail. Btw the bull is probably about a 300 +\- 6 pt. He was definitely runnin this herd and I'm beyond happy to have out smarted the biggest bull of the group! Look at the time - time to start that blood trail! Hopefully picturesmsoon to follow!

AWESOME! Can't wait for pictures! Take it easy and slow on the tracking...