Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

Topo paper maps

Do any of you have any preference for any specific type of paper topo maps? I am wanting a good one of Unit 1, mainly with lots of the roads, names, numbers, etc. I have a Arizona topo map but the areas arent as detailed cause its a 70 page entire state map. Where to get?? Thanks in advance.

Wide World of Maps in the Phoenix area usually has a pretty good selection of various topo maps. I think they have a website, but I'm not sure how easy it is to find the topo map you're looking for on their site.

topo maps are usually lacking in much road detail. Most don't have road numbers. Each topo map covers about 25 square miles so one map won't cover the entire unit.

The best road maps are the national forest maps. They don't have much if any topo info though.

You can get both types at Map World in Mesa, Tucson and Phoenix or their website maps4u.com

most topo maps will cost ya around 12 $ these days

takes anywhere from 8-9 maps to cover a unit

national forest maps are like 14$ now mainly cuz they are made out of a plastic type paper

they also have unit maps for like $36 but a good price when concidering the othe r option of 9 maps- they were sold out of most units-

a lot of gps dealers have maps/ software

what unit ya lookin for ?

g$f had a few really good maps but only for a very few unitss

I was looking for unit 1. May just go down to the forest service tomorrow and take alook at what they can give me(for money of course). Wide world of maps seemed pretty good, may check them out as well. I am going to a Uof A game this Sat. Anyplaces in Tucson I could stop by?

map store in tucson on 1st and stone??? good selection. i prefer 3.5 minute topo maps. good detail on all terrain. enough roads to get you where you need to go.

The wide word of maps in Mesa has topo maps put together to cover whole units (they have a lot of units too). The other locations might, you should call and ask, maybe they will. They are pretty good. I also use and old version of NG Topo! software to point out very specific spots. Its worth the money if you need to look over lots of spots. Also ask guys who quit huntig who might have some older FS maps. I have abunch of my Dad's old maps and there are a lot of old roads not on the new maps.

On the side not not to steal anything from the OP, Anybody ever seen a big, real big, map of the whole state? I want like a 6' x 8' map of AZ as detailed as I can get for the garage.

As I always recommend....buy National Geographic topo program and print out any topo map of the state you want. It is so easy to do and you can plot out all your GPS locations on the maps too. And you can print at 5 different scales, including the 7.5 min topos.

As I always recommend....buy National Geographic topo program and print out any topo map of the state you want. It is so easy to do and you can plot out all your GPS locations on the maps too. And you can print at 5 different scales, including the 7.5 min topos.

Are they pretty detailed, roads, etc?? Also isnt NatGeo topo maps the same one the Sportsmans Warehouse has on the machine that you print yourself?

I believe it is. I've never used the one at SW though. The NG software is really good for roads. You can shade elevaions to your liking too i believe. Between the took software, NF maps and google earth i don't really need to go to map stores. I still buy maps there to write and draw on for buddies going to new spots. All my stands and water off o roads is saved on my topo software. Its worth the money for sure. I need to update mine. The newer ones are pretty neat with flythrough and satalite images i think. My took software is probably 10 years old and still very usefull.

As mentioned, the Wide World of Maps can give you the entire hunt unit. Along with taking the forest road numbers from the forest maps, there are tanks on the forest maps that are not on the topo maps.

Additionally, in support of map software, you can get the latitude/longitute of your target spot and then input that to your gps. Also, when you gps a waypoint and tracks in the field, you can then download it to your map software and see where it is. A great tool for building a hunt strategy, including seeing the mountains in 3d, searching by code words, & printing custom maps for each hunt with your waypoints and tracks. I've used Terrain Navigator AZ for years, it's average but good enough, only ~$120.

I don't know which one SW uses to print maps. National Geo has very good roads, but just like regular topo maps, they don't necessarily have the road number listed, just shows the road. (although my newer New Mexico National Geo topo shows road numbers really well. I have an older version for AZ). So if I am learning an new hunt unit, I get the USFS map to show road numbers and property boundaries, but then usually use topo maps to hunt off. Search the internet for National Geograpch TOPO! and you should be able to find examples of the topo maps.

If you happen to have a Droid phone, then you can just use Google maps on your phone and it will actually show road numbers for most of the roads, even the smaller USFS roads. I just did that this past weekend. I was really impressed. It will show your GPS location on the map and you can do it as satellite imagery or topo maps. But the topo maps didn't seem to quite be the 7.5 min quads. But I only just started messing with it the other day.

Using GIS you can make you map of whatever you want (terrain, hillshade, countour, veg types, classes of roads, GMU's, etc...), and have the file printed somewhere like mpix. You pic and choose the data you want on it

software and printing is the only real cost, most of the data is free

There is also a program for the droid that allows you to download parts of the topo maps to your phone for use when you can't get signal. There is a two week demo and the program is about ten bucks I believe. I played with the demo for a little while last week.

Lookin at the USGS maps right now. Have one and it seems to be good. It has all the Forest Service roads, or least it seems to. I will take a look at the others and see what fits my needs. What I need to get is one of those Garmin GPSMAP 62st's!