standman

Natl. Geographic vs. Garmin MapSource TOPO!

Ok, I have the National Geographic Software and have been comparing it to FS maps, it does not show near the water sources as the FS maps. Does the Garmin MapSource TOPO! US 24k Southwest show more than the National Geographic software? Or are the topos on both based on the same maps? Just like to have some opinions on the Garmin Software before I go and purchase it.

Brian

I have not the used the nat geo or the fs maps but I have the 24k southwest us topo on my garmin. I love it. Very detailed. Lots of springs but I have found there are still springs that are not on it. But while scouting springs that are on it I have found a few springs and seeps that are not. The down side is if its on the map the whole world knows about it.

They are not the same map and are based off of different formats.

They both are pretty accurate but if you are using a Garmin GPS you can only use MapSource based maps.

GPSfiledepot.com offers a more detailed (topo lines only) map than both of them and it is a free download. You need to have MapSource already on your computer to use it though. It is around a 20K map.

I am currently using a product from a company called montana mapping. You purchase one state at a time and it is like $130.00. You can view it on your computer or on a GPS. The cool thing is you get free upgrades for life, and if your gps takes a dump you just re-download to your new one. It has contour lines, very good detail, different colors for different land ownership. As of the last download I did they did not have hunt unit boundaries, hopefully that is coming. I'm still learning so I can't say much more than that, but I have been pleased so far. :)

I have not the used the nat geo or the fs maps but I have the 24k southwest us topo on my garmin. I love it. Very detailed. Lots of springs but I have found there are still springs that are not on it. But while scouting springs that are on it I have found a few springs and seeps that are not. The down side is if its on the map the whole world knows about it.

What he said. You have to spend time and get down to around 300-500 hundred ft and comb the landscape on your G.P.S. to find tanks, springs and landmarks, but when you do the name will come up of what your looking for then you can save it as a way-point.Kind of like what you were able to do on google earth.I also have the Nat Geo but I prefer the 24K.

Check out this link. It has garmin compatible (uploadable) maps that are better than the std mapsource 100k maps and are free.

I recommend the AZ topo, the southwest topo, and the AZ land ownership. The load onto your gps just like the Garmin mapsource maps, using mapsource.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/az

Ron